• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'98 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 /4.0 L - Restored A/C in 7/19 Already Blowing Hot Air

crowe47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In 7/19 I had a trusted mechanic replace the original A/C system on my 1998 Ranger with 118,000 miles and that I have owned since new - new Motorcraft compressor, drier/accumulator, and orifice, as well as a new heater control valve, thermostat and housing, upper and lower radiator hoses. Last week with 122,800 miles the A/C started blowing hot, after blowing cold air and no problems since the repairs. Even when I have the A/C off and temperature dial turned to blue, I can feel hot air coming out of vents with outside temperature of 70. The clutch on A/C compressor is moving without any stops and starts. Could the A/C blowing hot air be caused by the compressor already gone bad and leaking refrigerant or maybe a blender door malfunction or what?

Also, the airbags in the Ranger has been turned off for years and the same mechanic tried back then to diagnose the problem and he advised his computer could not communicate with the air bag system. He thinks the module for the airbag needs to be replaced to allow him to diagnose why the airbag system is not working properly. I would like to get the airbags working as it is dangerous to drive without them.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You sure the blend door motor isn't simply stuck on hot...

crowe47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I open the glove compartment to check blend door, what I am looking for regarding whether or not the blender door is stuck? Also, never paid any attention to sounds when moving the temp dial from hot to cold. Can you hear the door moving if it is not stuck? If it is the blend door, is that a difficult repair for one with limited mechanical skills? I also have the rear sliding window leaking around the top of the window and I think I am going to try to replace the buytl tape myself. Did a leak test and water was pouring in at the top of the window. Then taped the top of the window and the leak stopped and no leak when running water over the third brake light. Had that light repaired several years ago and my mechanic must have used a glue or something, because I cannot budge the light and did not want to rip off paint by forcing the light off. Plus the light from Ford is about $160 and they do not just sell the gasket.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Double check, there should be a blend door actuator that sits towards the top of the heater box behind the glove box.

If you put it to vent, not ac, can you get the system to blow cool air from outside? It could be just that the blend door is not moving.

The best advice I could give would be to look up online, a video of how to repair it. I was able to replace mine with some basic hand tools and a little time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals