• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 ford ranger will not start short in system

Edrudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
This all started when i took my truck to have the tranny fix it started doing the same thing so took it back they could not find the problem when i picked the truck up it was running i drove it home and was going to take it to another shop but i notice the doom light was off and the windshield wipers was not working so with short problem i wanted to check all fuses i found one fuse blowen that went to the gem which the shop was bad so pulled radio and found they did not plug the gem back in plug it back in tried to start no start but fix doom light and windshield wipers.

So i believe i have a short in my system i have no spark and no pressure in fuel line. Test FP it works . Test for spark no spark. Rechecked fuels under hood fuse number 13 (PCM, HEGO, CVS) I think that what it is. The test light was blinking on fuse 13 and the PCM was making a noise along with blinking.

So there is a after market alarm was told that it might be the problem so i removed the system, fuse 13 now has no power and relay 4 (PCM power relay) has weak power on one side and it seems only one 1/3 of the fuses in cab are not getting power with key on hope some one can lead me into the right direction.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
So this is a 98 XLT with automatic transmission? Which engine?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

You can't just unplug an alarm system, if that's what you did, wouldn't be much point in an alarm system if a thief could just unplug it and drive away
Factory Wires are cut and run thru the alarm module so if alarm goes off engine can't be started, and of course lights flash and horn honks

There would be no reason for transmission work to involve the GEM, GEM is the cab computer, nothing to do with engine and transmission, they use the PCM computer
In 1998-2000 GEM does do Speed signal conversion for speedometer, PCM and Cruise is so equipped

Starting doesn't involve the GEM in any way, it would start just fine with GEM unplugged, so lets ignore the GEM for now

So start from scratch, what does it not do?
Does the starter motor work, but engine doesn't start?
Does the starter motor not work?

Manual or automatic trans?

Edrudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Its a 98 yes starter works it cranks over but will not start, no fuel presser, tested fuel pump it works I replaced it 4 year ago, there is no spark there is no power going to ignition, no power to PCM

Edrudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
The alarm system i removed is a AVITAL 2101L there was only 4 wirer hooked up under the dash i removed them and taped up all slices

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The alarm system i removed is a AVITAL 2101L there was only 4 wirer hooked up under the dash i removed them and taped up all slices
Ok. How did you tape them? Some of those wires may need to be connected to each other.

In other words; some of the alarm system components were most likely wired in series in existing vehicle circuits. So those vehicle circuits must be restored to their original configuration. Can get get some pictures of these wires and give us specific info on where they are?

Also, twisting wires together and taping them is not a very reliable way to make connections. It may work for testing. But isn't good under driving conditions when everything starts shaking and vibrating.

Edrudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I only cut the wire below the wire where it was spliced in so I would know were each wire went, there was only 4 wires spliced in and none of the wires were cut they were spliced in I put tape on to protect from grounding while looking for short or open circuit. I'm going to check it again to make sure i didn't miss something

Edrudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going out to take pic now Ill send when done

Edrudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I remove black tape off ends so you could see wires the black tape u see was already there before I cut wire

Edrudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
and the engine is 2.5

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals