• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 3.0 No fuel pressure

gli7ch556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, been working on this Ranger for a few months now and have ran into this issue.

Truck won't start. Fuel pressure is reading 0 at the check valve. Have replaced the fuel filter and pump with motorcraft replacements. I can hear the fuel pump when turning the key.

When pressing the Schrader valve, nothing comes out at all. No spurt of gas, no mist, nothing. Can confirm spark from all 6 plugs.

What is it that I am missing? Looking under the truck I don't see any visible gas leaks and no smells.

*edit* Replaced the entire pump assembly, not just the pump

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Find a easy place to pull the fuel line apart underneath the truck further back toward the rear. Then cycle the pump and see if you can get fuel.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^^

I would remove fuel line at the engine and put the end in a container, then cycle key on and off, this runs the fuel pump for 2 seconds, if there is no gas in the container then fuel line is clogged OR new pump assembly is not working

Did you get a new "sock" filter with the new pump assembly, its on the bottom of the pump, a pre-filter?

The 1998-2000 fuel system is a little different, true Returnless system, should be 60psi at engine end
The fuel pump is connected directly to the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) and then fuel goes out of the FPR to top of gas tank
This setup caused too much pressure fluctuation at the engine end so Ford changed it in 2001 and up, these have a 3 port fuel filter, 3rd port is the Return line to FPR on the assembly, two fuel lines on the top of the tank, yours just has the one fuel line

I doubt this is your issue, since you got new FPR with assembly
So just a heads up that it is different

Last edited:

gli7ch556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the suggestions y'all, I'm going to try it out as soon as this "icepocalypse" is over.

And yes it did come with a new sock filter as well.

Luckily this isn't my daily driver so time is not an issue.

gli7ch556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys sorry for the delay but I do have an update.

Fuel pump itself was bad. Replaced it under warranty and truck is starting, fuel pressure is good.

New problem, exhaust is white and smells like gasoline. Doesn't smell like any coolant or oil burning, and the oil nor coolant seemed to be mixing from dip stick or radiator.

No codes popping up, and is idling fine. Haven't drove it very far but it didn't sputter or lose power.

Going to check the injectors next to make sure proper fuel into the system. Will give ya'll an update soon.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would drive it some now you have it running. Go through a tank of fuel with it.

gli7ch556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Well I've gone through about half a tank of fuel. Still thick white smoke that smells like raw gas. Haven't checked the injectors yet, however I have a warranty on all 6 so I may just go ahead and replace them this weekend.

Coolant and oil still look good. Even my neighbor came over and was like "you got a blown head gasket" but I just can't see that happening at this point especially with no oil/coolant mixture. Maybe coolant is getting straight into an exhaust valve?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You would be losing coolant if it was leaking anywhere
Are you losing coolant?

gli7ch556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
It doesn't seem like I am losing coolant. Used a gallon of concentrate and a gallon of distilled initially. Had to add a little bit more after running it for a little bit, maybe a quart at most but after that its been holding steady

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It's been very cold this winter, so it may blow white smoke for awhile in this kind of weather. And your exhaust may smell more like fuel if someone has gutted the catalytic convertor. I would also be curious what kind of fuel mileage you are getting. I would do more troubleshooting before tearing anything else apart since you said it runs good and is not losing coolant.

gli7ch556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Alright been driving it a little longer and have the following results:

Gas mileage has taken a huge dip. Seemed to have used a half tank of gas within 50 or so miles.

White smoke has cleared up for the most part, it can be seen every so often but not every single time it runs.

It has started to sputter and lose power in accelration.

P0155 code popped up for a little bit, went off, then came back on.

Oil pressure gauge is flopping around like crazy.

At night you can see all of the interior lights and headlights dim when the compressor turns on.

To me, it's starting to seem like some sort of a electrical issue combined with a fuel/air issue. Figure I will trace down the electrical side first before doing anything else. Will keep y'all updated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals