• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 3.0 Ford Ranger not running/ barley running

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Once again im staring at my Ranger wondering if id be better off lighting it on fire and rolling it off a clif. I was out wheeling today and I was just rolling around at low RPMs and I got on the throttle hard for just a few seconds and when I let off it stauled and sounded like it was trying to start but wouldnt. I finally got it running but It wouldnt idol and ran rough. I got home and it kept stauling. The only engine code it threw is P1151 which it had been throwing for a while. It is also blowing out white smoke. I cant tell if its a cracked head gasket or if its unburnt fuel. The oil is clean but the coolant is brown and doen't look clean at all and I keep up with changing fluids so it has become dirty farly fast. I at first thought It was something electrical but now im leaning twards a head gasket and I work monday and I really need the truck. Any thoughts? Also has anyone tryed that blue devil stuff?

Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have used rislone head gasket fix, and it works well.
You will need to fix the gasket or head eventually.

Clean the MAF sensor

If you want to test for a head gasket leak, do a glove test
get a latex glove and rubber band
Cold engine is best
No, you don't have to drain the cooling system.

Pull coil pack connection wire, so coil won't fire, or pull spark plug wires

Remove rad cap and overflow hose.
Block overflow hose outlet, vacuum cap off engine or short hose with bolt in it.
Put latex glove over rad cap opening, seal it with rubber band, a larger balloon will work too :)

If you have a helper to turn over engine, you can just hold glove tight around rad cap opening and put your finger over overflow outlet.

Turn over engine, watch glove, if engine compression is leaking into the cooling system glove will dance each time that cylinders compression stroke comes around
If it dances you can find out which cylinder is leaking by removing spark plugs, one at a time, turning over engine each time you pull out a spark plug, glove will stop dancing when you pull the spark plug on the leaking cylinder.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals