• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 ranger 3.0 automatic trans.

shields1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning! I hope everyone here is doing great. I have this 97 ranger 4 x 2 3.0 that I put a used transmission in. I didn't check one item before installing. Output shaft speed sensor on the tail of the trans the hole Is plugged. It's an electronic sensor with a spinning gear on the end that runs off the tail shaft. I found out I bought a newer trans and for that year the speed sensor was moved to the rear differential and the sensor is no longer the same. The transmission goes into gear but won't shift automatically I assume because the sensor isn't there. Looking for possible solutions. Could I pickup a newer rear end and sensor in the diff? Or should I rebuild the old trans? Or any other ideas greatly appreciated.

A little history... when the trans went out u was just about to the top of a hill when it's like the trans went into neutral and the rpm's just rev and trans won't go into gear. No problems prior to that day.

I appreciate any help you out can give!

Jon

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Can you pull the plug out and take a peek in there and see if there is a gear still on the output shaft? Sometimes they have shafts like that in their stockpile and though they don't need the gear, they have one on there anyway. If it's there maybe you can retro fit your old sensor onto the new trans?

shields1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning! I hope everyone here is doing great. I have this 97 ranger 4 x 2 3.0 that I put a used transmission in. I didn't check one item before installing. Output shaft speed sensor on the tail of the trans the hole Is plugged. It's an electronic sensor with a spinning gear on the end that runs off the tail shaft. I found out I bought a newer trans and for that year the speed sensor was moved to the rear differential and the sensor is no longer the same. The transmission goes into gear but won't shift automatically I assume because the sensor isn't there. Looking for possible solutions. Could I pickup a newer rear end and sensor in the diff? Or should I rebuild the old trans? Or any other ideas greatly appreciated.

A little history... when the trans went out u was just about to the top of a hill when it's like the trans went into neutral and the rpm's just rev and trans won't go into gear. No problems prior to
Can you pull the plug out and take a peek in there and see if there is a gear still on the output shaft? Sometimes they have shafts like that in their stockpile and though they don't need the gear, they have one on there anyway. If it's there maybe you can retro fit your old sensor onto the new trans?
Sorry I never got back to this...my life went kinda nuts right after this post.

So I still haven't solved this. There's no plug you can pull. It's like it just wasn't drilled out but there is nothing on the shaft. I had a thought...if I was to pick up a new rear end that has the speed sensor on the rear end and they make an extension wire that will get the existing cord back there. I believe the existing trans from 97 was a 4 speed on the 3.0 and. The newer one is a 5 speed auto. Would I have to reprogram the pcm or I know where I could get a pcm from a 99 that has the same trans. Is my scenario possible? If anyone sees this any help would be greatly appreciated!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You want the 97 4 speed ECM to properly shift a later model 5 speed automatic? That doesn't seem right. The wiring plugged in from the older trans to the newer one?

shields1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
You want the 97 4 speed ECM to properly shift a later model 5 speed automatic? That doesn't seem right. The wiring plugged in from the older trans to the newer one?
I don't know much about transmissions other than the general but everything matched between the 2. the only difference was the tailpiece covering the output shaft.. and yes the harness plugged right in. I do have access to a rare end and PCM from a 99.

shields1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know much about transmissions other than the general but everything matched between the 2. the only difference was the tailpiece covering the output shaft.. and yes the harness plugged right in. I do have access to a rare end and PCM from a 99.
I figured the PCM would have to be reprogrammed at least if not replaced

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals