• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 drive shaft swap

Gozi

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P235/75R15
Bad vibrations at different speeds and need the one piece drive shaft. 97 Ext Cab 3.0 AT 2WD 7,5 rear end. I know to look for the same one, 60" weld to weld. Was wondering if the 24 spline slip yoke changed in any over the years and if I can use all years. Have been looking for 98-01 thinking these are only years that would work for me without having to changing out the yoke.

Gozi

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P235/75R15
Found one at Pick your Parts that was not bent or dinged up. Its from a 2002 Ext Cab 3.0 with a 7.5 rear end, but the AT was a D code (5 speed). My ranger AT is a T code (4 Speed) Drive shaft is 60" weld to weld. Drive shaft part # F87A-4602-PB. Will this work or do I need to find the right T code yoke?

Gozi

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P235/75R15
So I did some reading and the 5 speed is a 4 speed with a chip in it that runs 2 gears at the same time making it a 5 speed. They are the same transmissions. Had some time this weekend and did the swap. The carrier bearing was shot and the U-Joint behind the bearing was also shot. Total time spent on the swap was about 2 hours and that's including replacing the U-Joints. Clearance of the shaft is perfect, didn't cut or pound any metal. No more vibrations.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals