• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger Auto to Manual Swap

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have been having some problems with the auto 4r55e in my 96 Ranger 4x4 and had already been considering a swap to a M50D in the future. I have a 94 Ranger with an M50D in it and since I will be moving soon I need to get rid of this truck anyway. I plan to use the 94 for whatever donor parts I can get from it. I believe the trans, flywheel, and slave cylinder are the same for both years- I checked some part numbers at Checker and they are the same for both years.
So heres what I am thinking will come from the 94: Transmission, flywheel, slave cylinder, trans mount/cross member and the transmission harness

Parts store: Clutch, master cylinder

Still needed: ECM, Pedal assembly, steering column trim

So from anyone who has done this before does this sound like a good start? Am I missing anything? The other catch to this is I got to have it done in the next 90 days so I can put my truck on a boat and ship it back to the mainland.

w_pinkerton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
make sure the trucks have the same motor. i believe the 3.0 and the 4.0 have different bellhousing bolt patterns. otherwise it sounds about right.

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Forgot to add that, they are both 4.0

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After going through about 35 pages of posts in the transmission section I have come up with some more questions.
1. Will the transmission harness from my 94 work or do I need to find one from a 96?
2. I saw some mentions of not needing to replace the steering column and gauge cluster, just remove the auto shifter and use a block off plate on gauges. How do you take the shifter off? P/n for the plate to cover selector?
3. Will the clutch pedal and clutch pedal position sensor off my 94 work?

I have already located an ecm so I'm down to the clutch pedal assembly, steering column trim, clutch pedal position sensor, and possibly the trans harness.

Any info would be helpful, Thanks

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
After going through about 35 pages of posts in the transmission section I have come up with some more questions.
1. Will the transmission harness from my 94 work or do I need to find one from a 96?
2. I saw some mentions of not needing to replace the steering column and gauge cluster, just remove the auto shifter and use a block off plate on gauges. How do you take the shifter off? P/n for the plate to cover selector?
3. Will the clutch pedal and clutch pedal position sensor off my 94 work?

I have already located an ecm so I'm down to the clutch pedal assembly, steering column trim, clutch pedal position sensor, and possibly the trans harness.

Any info would be helpful, Thanks
1. No, you will need a harness from a '95-'97 Ranger.

2. The auto shifter has a pin that you drive out. Make sure the shifter is in the Park location before doing this.

You can get the cluster block off plate from any '95+ 5 speed Ranger.

3. The clutch pedal assembly will probably work, however the CPP will not.

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
mjonesjr thanks for the info. Junkyards are few and far between here so I will have to keep looking. One more question for now. For the clutch pedal assembly and the harness does it matter if they come from a 2.3. 3.0, or 4.0 as long as they are 95-97?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The CPP (Clutch Pedal Position) Switch doesn't matter. The transmission wiring harness has to come from an engine that is the same as yours.

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After no luck finding the harness and finding out the dealership no longer has them I am going to just finish my 94 project, fix the 96 trans issue and sell it. Thanks again for the info.

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I am back thinking about doing this M50d swap. I really like my 96 better then my 94 and the 96 is in much better condition then the 94. I tracked down everything needed for the swap except the transmission harness. Is there anyway to complete this swap without the harness? I am thinking I will have much better luck finding the harness on the mainland instead of Hawaii. I only have about 2 months left here so time is of the essence, if anyone has swap parts for a 95-97 let me know or see my WTB thread. The harness seems to be the piece I need most.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my buddy runs a junkyard up here, i will check and see if theres any trucks like yours. where do you locate the harness you need?

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
my buddy runs a junkyard up here, i will check and see if theres any trucks like yours. where do you locate the harness you need?
The harness goes to the transmission, O2 sensors and starter. It connects to the back of the engine harness. Thanks

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
1. No, you will need a harness from a '95-'97 Ranger.

2. The auto shifter has a pin that you drive out. Make sure the shifter is in the Park location before doing this.

You can get the cluster block off plate from any '95+ 5 speed Ranger.

3. The clutch pedal assembly will probably work, however the CPP will not.
You are talking about a "pin" to remove the lever...

but on a 1995-up column the shifter assembly unbolts from the column with a couple of screws, the column underneath is the same...

Then you just change the external trim pieces.

I should note that unlike the people who on the earlier (gen1 -early Gen3 trucks who would just change out the pedals themselves on a 1995-up you MUST change the pedal bracket.

Because the clutch master cylinder itself "Twist locks" into a square hole
in the manual pedal bracket... that square hole is on an extension that often isn't present on an auto pedal bracket...

You'll need a 13mm swivel head socket (not a 13mm socket attached to a seperate swivel) to get the pedal bracket on and off AFTER you remove the column.

AD

AD

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds more and more like I will need another donor truck other then my 94 which I can get the transmission from. I found a 97 parts truck but it has the 4 cylinder and manual. Anyone know if the pedals and master are the same as what I need for a 4.0?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals