• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ohv issues

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so ive been haveing some issues with my truck lately and i was hoping you guys could help me diagnose whats wrong with it.

First off when i first go out in he morning it will crank over for a little bit then fire. Then when you turn the key it starts right up.

Then it will act fine and drive great until i put it to the floor. When i do that it bogs down and and has no power until you lift your foot to about 3/4 throttle and and it acts fine until ou floor it again and it will bog.

Then if you park the truck and shut it off it will start just fine.

Then every once in a while about every 3rd time i go to drive it it will sit and fire but not start and sometimes when i play with the throttle it will sit and stumble for a bit until you get it up into high rpms and it will start to run fine.

Sometimes it just wont start it will fire and stumble for a second and then die again.

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody? I just wanted to try and get an idea before i start throwing parts at it

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My first instinct is the fuel pump. Several of those symptoms could be caused by a dying fuel pump, particularly the hard starts and high throttle power loss.

The stumbling starts are probably an extension of the no-start.

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Can fuel pumps slowly go out? I thought it was kind of it ran or it doesnt with the fuel pump?
Now that you say somethig i dont think i really hear it when i turn the key

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals