• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 b2300 no start ?

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
For starters this thing has definitely been used. It has 250k+ miles on it but I want to fix it since it’s a 2.3 and also 4x4.
I bought it in the condition that it’s in, non running etc….
So what I know is that it’s not getting any spark, nor is it getting fuel pressure, and also the CEL is not working.
What I have done, … checked the bulb in the gage cluster, and swapped the pcm with another known to be good pcm from a 1997 ranger with the same configuration. Also I have checked fuses, relays, etc…. Still the same thing, no start. Will crank all day and it sounds like it’s got good compression (haven’t tested) and the timing belt is intact and not loose at all…. I’ve never dealt with these engines before so any suggestions are much appreciated!

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Figure out why it doesn't have spark, then check if the pump is running, then if the injectors are firing

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Figure out why it doesn't have spark, then check if the pump is running, then if the injectors are firing
Pump is not running, I did confirm that. I will be installing a crank sensor, but I have my doubts. With the CEL not working, that’s where my concern lies… or am I missing something? Lol

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Figure out why the pump isn't running first. The fuel pump doesn't care about a crank sensor signal.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Figure out why the pump isn't running first. The fuel pump doesn't care about a crank sensor signal.
Sounds good. I’ll go over the same things I did yesterday… maybe I missed something. ?

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ignition on, check for power and ground at the pump. Might only have 12v for a few seconds while it tries to prime the pump, should be constant while cranking. If that's good then try powering the pump directly

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you don't have spark or fuel pump it sounds like the ignition isn't turning on, I would check the key on power in some places, I think there's a keyed power on the OBD II port or disconnect the ECM and check on the pin there, either that or there's a bad ground somewhere... any bad fuses in the power distribution box?

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ended up being fuse number 19 (I believe) wasn’t getting good enough connection. That and a slew of other “custom” wiring the previous owner did. After it was all said and done it boiled down to one fuse in the side of the dash. Put it all back together and even put on some square mirrors too. R/R brake cylinder blew and now it’s pinched off till I have time to deal with it (only used as a “ranch” truck for now)
The rear part of the frame was bent a little to where the bumper was pushed up so I heated it up and straightened it out best I can and now I can open the tailgate all the way.
The last thing I have to do is find U-bolts for it because for some reason I missed the fact that the spring plates and u-bolts were loose as can be! So I may swap out the rear end and get new plates and bolts for peace of mind. Other than that I love this stupid little thing. It’s a lot of fun!

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Can’t believe I didn’t post pics of the little beast! Here she is in all her glory! Lol

Attachments

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Any local spring shop or rockauto for the ubolts

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals