• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger minor hesitation

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1994 4.0 4x4 ranger. It has been crazy cold here around 20 highs. My cel would come on for a moment at start up and then go off so I figured it was just the cold temperature. Today it was around 60. I finally got my air pocket out and shut it off for about 5 hours before driving it. When I pulled out of the driveway my cel flashed on and I lost power momentarily. This happened 2 times before everything went back to normal and cel went off. I'm thinking my maf needs cleaned and I wanted to know what you guys thought before I went to the part store to get the cleaner for it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I had/have (I'm not sure) what sounds like the same problem and MAF cleaning had little effect on it for me. My check engine light never comes on though. Who know what kind of instabilities I may have cause of my parts used to put it together though.

Anyway, I've subscribed to this thread because I wanna be sure I see the outcome.

Edit: Does it feel like you floored it when it comes back to life? Mine always does. I've kinda assumed it was a sticky IAC.

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It just comes back like normal it doesn't catch up

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I replaced the fuel filter and air filter. I also cleaned the maf it was very dirty cel came back on for a few minutes and then it went off. I will post back in a couple of days. If push comes to shove I will buy a code reader for it.

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought an obd1 code reader and koeo passes but koer throws 538 and that's it. Am I doing something wrong I read that it could be that I'm not goosing it but my reader doesn't say so in the instructions.

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was the temp sensor fixed it today no problems

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Congratulations.
I've always suspected my temperature sender. It was from the 2.9. They're fairly cheap. I might replace it just to see. Never really bothered me enough to make me look into it.

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was my ect not my sending unit i have 2 sending unit is 1 wire on my thermostat housing and the coolant temp sensor is on the intake with 2 wires just some helpful info I replaced my sending unit and had no idea all it did was control the gauge and had nothing to do with operation.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Thanx for the correction. I knew what you said, I just typed it wrong.:icon_twisted:

Caesar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, I just started a thread about a bad temp sensor in my 99 SOHC B4000. I was cheap and bought aftermarket sensors for my new updated thermostat housing and I payed the price. My truck stalled and then barely ran after we managed to get it started again. Checked the real time data link and it had 459 degrees for ECT temp.

I knew the temp sensor could effect mileage and performance, but I had no idea it could cause the truck to barely run/start and smell the way it did. I thought I was going to have to do a head gasket or motor swap for a min.

Before this truck I had a 94 B4000 that also had hesitation when accelerating. After cleaning the MAF sensor it immediately gained some balls. The filament was covered in crud, but was easily cleaned with MAF cleaner. The hardest part was finding a temper proof torx bit to access it. Glad you guys figured it out...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals