• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger loose steering

waybel

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys i have a 94 ranger with alot of play in steering.Everything is good on the front end.I have a had 3 rangers/Mazda b3000 trucks and all 3 are the same.Excessive play in the steering.Is this a common problem with these trucks?My Honda civic and toyota camry i can drive with one finger on the steering wheel..Need two hands on the Ranger.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
You need to look at everything again. Everything is not good if you have loose steering. It is more than likely multiple things causing play if you have a lot.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Check all the tierods & linkage, check the rag joint & column shaft as well. If all that stuff checks out, you may have a worn or loose steering gearbox.

waybel

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ya i suspect steering box also.Everything else checks out.It just passed safety.Seems funny it was the same on all 3 trucks i owned,Steering boxes must be bad on these.

khooper

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Many things could be going wrong here. I would first check your tie-rod ends, but the likely cause is your pit-man arm. Check all linkages that come off of your steering gear box and go from there. Make sure to have it alligned after.

jagar147

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
There is an adjustment on top the steering box.Has a lock nut and a slotted adjuster.Loosen the lock and turn the adjuster clockwise no more than 1/4 turn.Test drive for 20 miles or so and see if that helps.Repeat the process 1/4 turn at a time till it clears it up.Be very careful as too much adjustment can bind the steering.Do all this only after making sure all steering components are good.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've only seen one credible report of success adjusting that nut. Do it by feel and you will substantially overtighten it. This is dangerous to drive; it can cause steering to bind or even break, and even mild overtightening makes the vehicle quite difficult to control (no centering).

There are more variables to "looseness" than just the meshload. Meshload adjustments only work if the teeth maintain their shape as they wear. But they don't.

IF there is looseness in the steering box, I would strongly suggest a rebuilt steering box. If there isn't excessive looseness there, the problem is elsewhere and it should be left alone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals