• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger 2.3l

ryu010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Im looking at adding turbo to my 94 ranger 2.3. I dont want to swap my block or spend too much money. My goal is a 10 - 12 psi boost. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I have done some looking into this it looks as though I need to swap my pistons, intake manifold, fuel pump, chip and injectors. Also, what chip can I swap to?

Thanks.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yes, you want to swap injectors and pistons, use your stock inake manifold (it matches the head, turbo intake manifolds won't, and the throttle body is in the same place), your stock fuel pump will handle that much boost without problem

what you will need is the computer from a turbo engine, the vane air flow meter for that ecm (there are two different ones) and the wiring connector to go to it.

wire in the VAM to your current wiring harness, there's wiring diagrams in the stickie at the top of this forum, more than likely the VAM will wire where your MAF goes now. if you use the '87-88 computer you will need to drill and tap your intake manifold for an air temp sensor so you will need to wire that in too (in the older ones the temp sensor is in the VAM)

the other things you will have to do is get a tee in your oil pressure sensor hole for the oil supply for the turbo, and drill and tap a hole in either the engine block just above the oil pan or in the oil pan above the oil level, also tee into your heater circuit for the coolant lines for the turbo (assuming you get a water cooled turbo)

ryu010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
What injectors should I swap to? I have read if I use LA3, LA2, LA, 8UA, or LB3 chip I will need to reprogram it. Is this true? Do I use pistons that are the same spec as what I have but forged? If I wire the VAM where the MAF goes does that mean I take out the MAF?

Thanks for answering my stupid questions :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
use stock forged pistons from one of the turbo 2.3's, they'll fit and work fine.

use the brown top injectors that came on the turbo engines

yes, you remove the MAF, you won't be using the stock computer anymore, so that and the DPFE and a few other things go the way of the dodo...

if you use one of the computers meant for the turbo engine along with the appropriate sensors, it doesn't need to be reprogrammed or anything, the LA3 for example supposedly works stock for a LOT of boost with the appropriate setup

ryu010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I have ordered an LA3 chip. What sensors do I need to add / remove?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals