• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 crank no start

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If I can't do it...find someone to teach me
I am at the end of an engine swap but no start. 1 question is if I have the timing off would it start when I shoot fuel straight into the intake but not when I just crank it. I seem to have pressure at the schrader valve but I am not sure how much. Also according to my timing light I have spark. I am pretty sure I have compression, but I will verify after I go to the store and get a compression gauge. I am open to any suggestions at this point. Just added note when I got it to start by shooting fuel into her there was no back firing.

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
fuel pressure when cranking is 40psi/ when i just turn the key on to let the pump prime but no crank 20 psi

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
30-40psi fuel pressure is correct for 1986 thru 1997 Ranger engines
But fuel injectors still need to open so that fuel gets into the cylinders

Spark timing matters of course, having spark is good but if it is at the wrong time then no start, even if you add fuel manually

1994 3.0l has separate spark and fuel delivery
The TFI module and distributor do the spark
Then PCM(computer) opens the fuel injectors

In 1995 and up these were combined into the larger PCM(computer, it did both spark and fuel delivery

If you timing light flashes when in #1 spark plug wire, then is it flashing when #1 TDC mark is close to 0deg BTDC?
i.e. marks on the crank pulley and front engine cover

How old is the gasoline in the tank?
5 months old and its no longer "gasoline", the part that burns has evaporated away, its more of a varnish now, so no start, and it can also foul New fuel you spray in manually

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
30-40psi fuel pressure is correct for 1986 thru 1997 Ranger engines
But fuel injectors still need to open so that fuel gets into the cylinders

Spark timing matters of course, having spark is good but if it is at the wrong time then no start, even if you add fuel manually

1994 3.0l has separate spark and fuel delivery
The TFI module and distributor do the spark
Then PCM(computer) opens the fuel injectors

In 1995 and up these were combined into the larger PCM(computer, it did both spark and fuel delivery

If you timing light flashes when in #1 spark plug wire, then is it flashing when #1 TDC mark is close to 0deg BTDC?
i.e. marks on the crank pulley and front engine cover

How old is the gasoline in the tank?
5 months old and its no longer "gasoline", the part that burns has evaporated away, its more of a varnish now, so no start, and it can also foul New fuel you spray in manually
Yeah I have definitely let it set for more than 5 months and it definitely smells of varnish. It will start when fuel is manually added. Like I said in my edit if I don't crank the engine then I only get 20 psi at the rail when I turn the key on. I am thinking I am going to pull the fuel pump and try changing just the sock and adding some new fuel after I get rid of the old fuel before I put the money out for a new fuel pump. Any input or advice is appreciated

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yeah I have definitely let it set for more than 5 months and it definitely smells of varnish. It will start when fuel is manually added. Like I said in my edit if I don't crank the engine then I only get 20 psi at the rail when I turn the key on. I am thinking I am going to pull the fuel pump and try changing just the sock and adding some new fuel after I get rid of the old fuel before I put the money out for a new fuel pump. Any input or advice is appreciated
On the bright side the old fuel DID NOT sit in the injectors that long because I removed all of them from the rail and cleaned them and then replaced all the orings

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Drain as much fuel as possible, use it as weed killer(not great for environment), or in a lawn mower, a little bit at a time mixed with fresh gas
Then add fresh gasoline to Ranger tank, 10% ethanol mix is best for this, 5% OK as well, straight gas no ethanol will not mix with the water in the tank so you will get stumbling until most of the water is gone

20psi key on/off is fine, anything above 10psi will get start up, with fresh gasoline, and then pressure will come up to 35psi average once engine starts and fuel pump is on full time

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Drain as much fuel as possible, use it as weed killer(not great for environment), or in a lawn mower, a little bit at a time mixed with fresh gas
Then add fresh gasoline to Ranger tank, 10% ethanol mix is best for this, 5% OK as well, straight gas no ethanol will not mix with the water in the tank so you will get stumbling until most of the water is gone

20psi key on/off is fine, anything above 10psi will get start up, with fresh gasoline, and then pressure will come up to 35psi average once engine starts and fuel pump is on full time
Thanks!! Appreciate the input

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My experience is that gas goes bad in about 2 months! An easy way to drain your tank is at the fuel filter which is under the drivers seat. Just disconnect the input line and loosen the filler cap, and it should run out. Might help to park on an incline too. Yeah, the varnish smell is not good!

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My experience is that gas goes bad in about 2 months! An easy way to drain your tank is at the fuel filter which is under the drivers seat. Just disconnect the input line and loosen the filler cap, and it should run out. Might help to park on an incline too. Yeah, the varnish smell is not good!
thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals