• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 8-spark plug manifolds interchangable with 82-88 turbo?

The_Ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Lima Twin-Spark
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure this has been asked, but I want to know if the turbo manifolds from say, a Thunderbird Turbocoupe or Merkur XR4ti will work on the twin-spark plug variant of the 2.3 Lima motor. I know this has been done a million and a half times but the twin-spark plug thing came as a surprise so now I'm not so sure.

I tried searching but didn't have any hits.

I'm buying a 1994 Ford Ranger with a 5MT with 80k miles for $1000 (or less-- it's a base model with no AC) and I just want an idea of what's doable and what I can scavenge for more power and/or efficiency outta the junkyard.

Also, I wanted to know how I'd add atachometer with that funky twin spark setup.

Thanks,
Ghost

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the exhaust pattern has been the same forever... but realize the stock N/A pistons won't handle much abuse

add a factory tach instrument cluster from a '93 or '94 ranger or explorer, direct bolt in and the cleanest install...

floodz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/5
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You can check the tech library, they say on there how to add an aftermarket tach. If it doesnt work, let us know, I know another place you can hook it up to. Thats what happened with me.

The_Ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Lima Twin-Spark
Transmission
Manual
the exhaust pattern has been the same forever... but realize the stock N/A pistons won't handle much abuse

add a factory tach instrument cluster from a '93 or '94 ranger or explorer, direct bolt in and the cleanest install...
About the turbocharger-- I wouldn't be using very much boost. Only a few psi. Maybe 6-9, perhaps less. I'd just be bolting it on as is and maybe unplugging the maf to richen the fuel mix.

Were any 4-cyl Rangers avail with tachometers?
The tech article really didn't answer my question; the reason I'm concerned is that dual-sparkplug system.

Do I need to change anything, because I have the most basic of base Rangers. Power NOTHING. Oh, and I bought it this evening. Will post pics tomorrow after it's been cleaned up.

@floodz

What wire did you tap into on your 94?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
it doesn't matter what engine the instrument cluster comes out of as long as it's a compatible year ('93 and '94), I think all explorers had tachs, and you can swap in your original speedometer to keep that the same... I think I did a writeup for the tech library, or I have it on my puter somewhere... it's not too tough, hardest part is getting the speedo cable unhooked.

The_Ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Lima Twin-Spark
Transmission
Manual
If you could dig up that tech article I would be HUGELY appreciative.

By the way, my temp and volt gaugeset is dead. I think they might be unplugged.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I must not have written up anything back when I did mine...

but HERE is something that is better than what I would have done back then, go about 1/3 down the page and it talks about removing the instrument cluster, it's not too bad like I said. While you're in there you should check all the bulbs in the new cluster and replace any bad ones. I didn't look if it mentioned how to get the gages out so you can swap the speedo, but it's not bad, take the clear screen off the front then pry the gages out (with a butter knife or something, pry the black plastic backing plate out) starting from the outside and working to the speedometer which just pulls out.

limit boost to about 5psi on stock pistons

The_Ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Lima Twin-Spark
Transmission
Manual
Sory to revive this older topic, but how would I limit boost?

I'm kinda lost after obtaining the manifolds and running a oil tap panel between the oil filter and the block to feed the turbo with (not about to tap the block or oil pan if I don't have to)...

Any idea what 5psi would make in terms of HP? I'm looking to get near 130-150hp, assuming stock is 100

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals