• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'93 Ranger stalled, hasn't restarted

Dr76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My '93 Ranger (2.3L, 5-sp) stalled out on me a few days ago and haven't been able to get her restarted. I get approx. 42 psi of fuel to the rail and there is spark, but just spins when cranking (no signs of life!). I've changed the fuel filter and when I pinched the return line, the pressure went up to 60 psi, so believe the fuel pressure regulator is OK.

I scanned for codes and get "111" (system pass), 223 and 224 (coil "issues" that it's had for years, but always ran OK) and a new one 334 (EGR valve closed, voltage higher than expected). Would this keep it from starting?

Back to the fuel... I noticed it takes about 4 key cycles of fuel pump priming before it's at 42 psi, but once it's there, it stays. Should it take this many cycles? Also, if pressure is not the issue, could "volume" be? Anyone know how much fuel (gallons per minute) it should pump, and how to keep the fuel pump running for a minute?

Thanks!

Sprag-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked your timing belt?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that's my vote too, that's the normal cause of stalling randomly...

Dr76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Haven't checked the belt yet (I replaced it over the summer), but anything is possible!!!

Dr76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Holy Crap! Yes, I would agree... it's a timing issue! Don't know what caused such a jump, but this is ridiculous! Cam timing mark should be at about "5:30" and is closer to "8:00". Also, the new belt I put on over the summer (right) looks FAR worse than the old one I removed (left). Tensioner seems fine.... do you think it was just a crappy belt?

Truck never gets driven hard... w/ so little power, there's no reason to waste gas trying!

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
when u put them side by side, it looks like the wrong belt. I dont see a belt getting worn like that. bring that older one with you when you go to buy a new one and make sure the ribs are the same width/shape.

Dr76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the belt "teeth/ribs" (and all timing gears) changed shaped in '92 (I swapped-in a '91 2.3 over the summer into the '93) and I may have (???) asked for a '93 belt when I did the swap. Belt length, width and number of "teeth/ribs" remained the same, so it held on for about 7 months, but finally gave up!!!

Thanks!!! :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals