• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger 4WD = 97 B4000 2WD 4x3 conversion?

FuzzRamsey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 4WD and a 1997 Mazda B4000 2WD. Engine's are both 4.0.Transmission and transfer case are already bolted and drivable in the B4000. will the front axle bolt up as well? I want to do a conversion since i have everything except matching wiring harness.

Do you know if the Axle will bolt up?

Is there a way to bypass the wiring harness and make it toggle switch applicable?

Email fuzz2057642222@gmail.com
Text/Call 205-764-2222 8-11 Central Time.

Thank you for ANY info available in advance.

Fordisthebest30

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 and 2.2
Transmission
Manual
well the first thing i would do is make sure the transmission will bolt into that particular engine. Im sure it will, but id make sure. If you want to make a manual transfer case from an automatic, it's possible. There's a guy on ranger forums who has engineered a conversion kit that he custom makes, and sells for $150-$200. If mine ever goes out that im going that route. If i were you id get manual hubs and that manual conversion and you shouldn't have to change the wiring harness. Just my .02s

Fordisthebest30

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 and 2.2
Transmission
Manual
for your question about the axle, it should but your going to need a lift to fit it all in there. If i were you i'd just sell the 97 and buy a 4wd, it's a lot of work and money to make it work, and it usually doesn't drive right. just my .02s

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like putting the engine into the ranger would have better end results and less headache.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

Fordisthebest30

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 and 2.2
Transmission
Manual
yeah. again i wouldn't do a conversion for 4wd unless the truck has extreme sentimental value or some sort. its like putting 5 grand into a truck worth 2

FuzzRamsey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Actually it was my grandfathers truck and its the only thing i have left of him lol. i tried the axle swap this morning and it wouldnt fit, the frame rail under the motor isnt as wide as the 4x4 so it wouldnt fit. im going to have to find a 3" suspension lift kit so it'll raise the mounts a bit so itll clear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals