• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ranger

tammyleigh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
5 speed. rattle i think from clutch in neutral 2.3 engine. idling.release bearing just replaced.old one was not bad.
could a pilot bearing cause it. clutch pedal released.i just bought this one now have 2.thanks

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
A little bit of noise in neutral is normal, according to the service manual "Gear rollover noise, inherent in manual transmissions, is caused by the constant mesh gears turning at engine idle speed, while the clutch is engaged and the transmission is in neutral..........Gear rollover noise will disappear when the clutch is disengaged or when the transmission is engaged in gear. Release bearing rub will disappear when the clutch is engaged. In the event that a bearing is damaged, the noise is more pronounced while engaged in gear under load or coast than in neutral."

Does not sound like a pilot bearing issue to me. Could be a heat shield on the exhaust, something loose in the engine bay, behind the dash, damaged or missing shifter bushings, etc... lots of possibilities.

tammyleigh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
yes im going to have to do more checking there all possible
you got me thinking thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Mine has had a gear rollover noise for almost two decades that I've noticed it. It's an extremely light knock/rattle sound within the trans that has a repetition rate of around 3× /second, and is only noticeable while in neutral and the engine idling (clutch pedal out). It's more audible from underneath the truck, but can also be heard around the area of the shifter inside the cab.

If that describes your noise, then very likely it's nothing to worry about. I'd suggest check the trans fluid anyway though just to be sure. It should be bright red to brownish red (Mercon or Dex/Merc ATF). Black or almost black fluid means it needs changed. It should not have a gray or silvery appearance though.

Also, check your transmission mount. If the rubber isolators have separated or disintegrated, the metal-on-metal contact may cause the noise to be transmitted into the truck's frame, amplifying it's audibility.

tammyleigh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
that sounds about right.not had change to get back to it been sick
thanks

tammyleigh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
thanks you were right it turned out to be a pipe under truck.i could not get under it but a friend did and found it.thanks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals