• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) '92 no start, has spark

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The '92 2.3L Ranger I bought for parts earlier this year was sold to a friends son and they're trying to get it running. New timing belt, new fuel pump. When they first tried it would fire on starting fluid but had no fuel pressure, they changed the pump and got it working (bad connection at the pump relay or at the tank) and it would fire then stall, sounded kinda like MAF sensor to me so they unplugged it and tried and it hasn't fired since... I haven't gone over to try to help, I think they're going to try to pull the codes if there are any.

It has/had spark so I imagine the ignition module is working and giving the rpm signal to the ECM but I'm running out of ideas without looking myself...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have them do 50/50 test again, spray fuel into the engine
To see if it still has spark

In 1992 2.3l only the passenger side coil pack and spark plugs are working while starting engine, drivers side comes on when RPMs are above 400rpm, cranking is 200rpm

Have them take a look at timing belt, just to be sure its turning when cranking engine over, its free, lol

What's in the gas tank?
After 6 months it ain't gasoline anymore
After cranking engine over have them pull a spark plug
Tip should be WET
Try lighting the tip with a match or lighter
If it doesn't flash and burn quickly/easily, its no longer "a fuel"
Siphon it out as much as possible, and put in fresh gasoline, with 10% ethanol if avaiable

If tip is DRY then yes, you still have a fuel delivery issue, but if thats the only issue then engine will start using 50/50 test

1992 will use 2 digit codes: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/obd-i-diagnostic-trouble-code-dtc-applications-2-digit-ford-codes/

It should also have a CEL
CEL should come on with key on, means computer is on
CEL should go OFF when cranking engine, means computer is getting a timing pulse from crank sensor via ICM(spark module)
If CEL stays on then you are correct, no timing signal for fuel injectors

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals