• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 BII 2.9 Will not start :or im having a blonde moment"

o4rhm1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got to the auto parts store and got some cold juice "freon" put it in and got a nice cold a/c :headbang: . I took it off the condenser and the car died! WTF i got one thing fixed and it dies LOL what a day.... So i waited and was thinking well the a/c hasn't been used all winter so the computer hasn't adjusted for the load, no big deal it will just start back up.......:dunno: NOPE.....Ummmm is it getting fuel. Yes check the pressure port the redneck way and it has pressure....Is all the wires good, did i knock one off...Check nope its all good.... Pulled the wire off the "Coil Pack--is that right one spark plug wire from the top of the Dist." lets check for spark, turned it over got nothing. So i put the wire back on and pulled it off the Dist. and still no spark...... So my question is

Is it called the "coil pack"
Is it suppost to have spark

If you got anything to help me out. Its hot 95+ out and im tired and burnt out on it right now. Thanks for the help.
Ian

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
2.9's dont have coil packs, its a distributor system with one main coil mounted on the driver side fender

o4rhm1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so when im trying to start it dose it spark when grounded

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
ok, heres a simple test for spark, remove the wire that goes from the distrubutor to the coil, take a screw driver and have the shaft of it touch the little pin on the coil that the distributor wire goes too, have someone crank it and keep the screwdriver a half inch from bare metal, u should see a spark between the end of the screw driver and the bare metal. also, there was a small module thingy i forgot the name off that could go dead and cause no spark, someone wana refresh me?

o4rhm1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you cody93, i did that and had no spark....so i will replace that first. your thinking of the eec-iv module or TFI-IV or POS or HUNK OF JUNK :icon_confused: module...... Theres to many names for it....

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Try pulling the spout jumper off and the try starting it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Also Check the battery or give it a full charge maybe the compressor clutch was pulling too much juice and check the eec relay see if it clicks when you turn the key on.

o4rhm1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i changed the ing. coil, nothing. pulling the dist. cap and bug is next and pulling the "eec- the thing that under the dist. cap" and haveing it check or replaced,
kimcrwbr1- where is the eec relay at?, and the spout jumper?
Thanks guys for the input i know im making some head way.... i think its about time to :beer: if you know what i mean!!

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you hear your pumps coming on briefly when the key is put on Run, ecc relay and fuel pump relay are functioning as they should be. Check for power at the coil, remove any corrosion you can find. There is a small ground from the battery w/ a disconnect that may have came apart. Check the tech library also, it goes into some detail about the ignition module (TFI-IV), which may be worth while to look at.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The spout is the wire with the jumper that looks like a fuse you pull to time the ignition it is on one of the wires coming from the distributor. If you pull the jumper it will take the computer out of the loop and just run on base timing with no advance. I believe the eec relay is on the passenger side just below the hood hinge.

o4rhm1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a little update, pulled the dist. cap and bug, good condtion well as good as 30k looks. i got the TFI module off :icon_hornsup: i fought that thing for about 2 hrs before it gave up, it has a little damage but nothing that would make me think that would be the culprit, find out tom. from advance or auto zone after they test it.
Thanks again for the help.

edit: were is the camshaft position sensor?

Last edited:

o4rhm1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you guys for the help!!! Problem solved!!!! :yahoo:
It was the TFI, they tryed to test it and it wouldnt even try.
FYI------- the bolt size that holds on the TFI module is 7/32 deep thin wall socket... Once again thanks for the help.....

just a side note- what about cutting the back part of the roof off? any ideas?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals