• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 2wd extended beams

_tyblanchard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm new to the prerunner scene and am looking to get some more travel on my truck so i can beat on it more. So i was thinking to cut and turn my beams to fit a bigger spring and a shock but while i'm already in it should i extend the beams as well? and would i need to go to swing set steering? (only want 4in lift)

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
They make lift kits that will keep everything working. They come with a dropped pitman which you will need to get rid of the bumpsteer you will have when lifted. What are you going to do about the radius arm mounts?

Everything on the frontend swings in a arc. So besides moving up and down, it moves front to rear and side to side also. The factory set the frontend up to minimize the side to side and front to rear movement. If you start changing things around you will end up with a truck that is undriveable unless you are careful.

_tyblanchard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Was gonna move the radius arms back

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
first of all which beams do you have? 2wd or 4wd? if 2wd '89 and older came with forged beams which can be cut and welded. anything after that is cast and can NOT be cut and welded.

i would not extend the beams at all unless youre going to switch to coilovers. extending them with a coil spring will just put more leverage on the coil making it less effective, same goes for the shock too if in the stock location.

definitely extend the radius arm though and use a heim joint on the end of it for the pivot with a nice bracket on the frame. solo motorsports and giant motorsports have good options for these parts if you cant fabricate them yourself.
you wont need to go to swing steering immediately. once youre in the 16"+ travel range with extended beams, rad arms, and coilovers then swing steering will become a little more necessary to help save your weak link.... the front hubs.

i beams are not rocket science. they are a very simple front suspension system that is great for prerunner applications. its VERY hard to **** it up lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals