• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 diesel ranger glow plug issues

Diesel Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 86 ford Ranger diesel... Its got the 2.3 mitsubishi 4d55t in it and I've been having glow plug issues. Original ones went out with the glow plug controller about a year ago.

I replaced them with the ones for the 2.2 perkins found in the earlier rangers (searched everywhere and couldnt find correct ones).

They went out again last week. I had problems all winter with cold weather starting I'm presuming because the ones for the 2.2 didn't go as deep. I ordered some new plugs that were for the mitsubishi mighty max for 85 seeing as they were both 2.3 mitsubishi's...

They got here this afternoon and compared them to originals that I pulled out a year ago. They go about an 1/8" deeper but Didnt think it would be any problems.

Pulled out first plug and replaced it. Came out smooth and had a little soot on the tip. New plug threaded in and set nice and snug. Pull out the next plug.... Tip was covered in dirty oil. started threading in the new one and it started getting stiff, pulled off socket and the center rod of the plug was pushing out of the center of the plug.

I immediately started turning it back, then pop. The bottom half of the plug broke off that rod. which is now stuck the in the block. no clue why it broke? why it's wedged? or how exactly to get it out cause trust me its f***ing stuck ing there. An why did the plug just fall apart so easily????:icon_confused:

Last edited:

Tails1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like your going to have to drill and use an easyout maybe? Thats gotta suck if so.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^ agreed

i think you had a faulty plug... i would contact the manufacture and give them an earful, i would tell them it's going to cost a tonne of money to get this out at a machine shop... logically, it is cheaper for them to pay for a machine shop to remove the broken plug than to pay legal fees to screw you over, might be able to have them give you a replacement part, and half the value of what a machine shop would charge, in "cash" if you want to do it yourself

Diesel Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got it out.... After using a deck screw for an easy out and breaking a a lot ofwire using a slide hammer. Now to see if they'll pay for new better quality plugs....Or else

Akash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BMW
Transmission
Manual
This is exceptionally pleasant and not too bad post....You shook posting it....Thanks a ton for posting it....!!:icon_rofl:

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i hope you are cleaning the hole before inserting the new glow plugs. as there'll be carbon deposits in there due to using the shorter 2.2 glow plugs.
the 4d55 was used in several applications. so replacement glow plugs should be available.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals