• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Bronco 2 4x4 driver side axle help

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
I am with Eric, I would still tear the whole thing down and replace at least both axle seals in the 3rd member and inspect everything. Cool carnage, I have never seen a D28 shaft twist before the u-joint breaks!

You do have to tear down the passenger side shaft assembly. But I would really recommend that anyway, change ALL of the u-joints while you're in there and use Dana/Spicer joints... parts store ones are garbage. And lube the slip yoke.

I have found that a lot of u-joint breakage on TTB axles is due to bad u-joints or a locked up slip yoke...the former could have been why this happened... better to inspect everything right now instead of fixing the passenger side next because the same thing happened.
thanks for the info... where do I get those ujoints from...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Some parts stores probably sell the Dana-Spicer u-joints. You just have to make sure that's what you're getting. If you're not in an emergency rush, try shopping online. Rockauto may have them. Once you find the Dana-Spicer part number, you can Google that part number and find out who has the best price with shipping.

We definitely want to see and hear more about this truck. I love it. It looks like a Bronco with the rear shell removed.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
thanks for the info... where do I get those ujoints from...
RockAuto, CarQuest sometimes carries that brand, local truck shop supply places... we have Inland Truck Part and Godfrey Brake out here, both of them carry Spicer u-joints.

I am fairly sure the part you need is DANA 53215X (Front Axle at Wheels; 4WD; with Cap Diameter 1.062 IN; with Inside Snap Rings; with Snap Ring to Snap Ring Dimension 1.629 IN )

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
RockAuto, CarQuest sometimes carries that brand, local truck shop supply places... we have Inland Truck Part and Godfrey Brake out here, both of them carry Spicer u-joints.

I am fairly sure the part you need is DANA 53215X (Front Axle at Wheels; 4WD; with Cap Diameter 1.062 IN; with Inside Snap Rings; with Snap Ring to Snap Ring Dimension 1.629 IN )
thank you so much... you all are awesome... so much help on here!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Can you make it to our trail ride at Badlands in September? I bet @Jim Oaks would get pix and info from you and use it as a monthly feature here on TRS.

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size

so get everything dana then? well I suppose the axle would be anyway no matter where I get it wouldn't it be? and should I replace every one of the ujoints? I'm certain I should... and I don't mind taking apart the axle assembly at the wheel... I think it kinda fun 😆... do you think Napa would carry Dana... I guess I can call and ask

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Can you make it to our trail ride at Badlands in September? I bet @Jim Oaks would get pix and info from you and use it as a monthly feature here on TRS.

I would love to but just too busy with other things as well... and honestly the truck doesn't look as good anymore... I rolled it on its side 2 years ago in a deep drainage ditch due to the steering shaft that broke... I rebuilt the shaft with u joints and steel shaft I ordered and cut down...the damage is the hood and passenger side fender and I got both of those but I've not put those on yet because of all this other stuff... plus the truck sat almost a year before I started in on it... but I'm making progress...also gotta put a new tank on it... mine developed a hole after the crash... but thanks for the invite... I bet its a blast

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Wow! What a cutie (the truck, don't know about the owner). Did you modify the truck bed or have it done or buy it that way? Those 33' tires cause extra load on your drive train so act accordingly. What gear ratio are you running?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah, you just need 3x u-joints (plus whatever else is broken.) Seals and stuff, you can get whatever brand. I would inspect your spindle bearings and wipers closely while you've got it apart.

NAPA might carry Dana parts...or can special order them, I don't know. I do know I don't trust any other brand of u-joints these days. And really it's not like they're more expensive, Dana stuff is just about the same price as any other "quality" part.

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Wow! What a cutie (the truck, don't know about the owner). Did you modify the truck bed or have it done or buy it that way? Those 33' tires cause extra load on your drive train so act accordingly. What gear ratio are you running?
I bought the truck the way it is... I've just been fixing broken stuff since I got it 😆... not sure the gear ratio.. I don't know how to tell... this 4x4 stuff is all new to me... I'm use to working on auras and Hondas... they are my specialty not counting my Harley.. I did a lot of custom work to my bike...

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Yeah, you just need 3x u-joints (plus whatever else is broken.) Seals and stuff, you can get whatever brand. I would inspect your spindle bearings and wipers closely while you've got it apart.

NAPA might carry Dana parts...or can special order them, I don't know. I do know I don't trust any other brand of u-joints these days. And really it's not like they're more expensive, Dana stuff is just about the same price as any other "quality" part.
I just found them on autozone site...should I get the ones with external clips or not...I read somewhere that the ones with the clips on the inside where better..

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
I just found them on autozone site...should I get the ones with external clips or not...I read somewhere that the ones with the clips on the inside where better..
and what axle should I get...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What you want has "inside snap rings" which go toward the bottom of the u-joint cap, inside the ears of the shaft, as opposed to sitting on top of the cap like on a driveshaft. That style will not work with axle shafts.

and what axle should I get...
I kind of doubt you will have any choice other than Dana. That may actually be a junkyard item... Dana 28 parts in general are getting pretty scarce.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
UPDATE..... well I got creative and made i guess what I'd call a wanna be slide hammer... 6 yanks on this bar and out came the axle... I had to use my angle grinder to cut off part of the yoke because it wouldn't fit through the hole due to the deformity of it... but now I got another question... look at the wave in the splines on the axle... do you think the differential internal splines are ruined or do you think my axle was weaker than those and just started to twist... either way I gotta buy a new axle and I guess ill just try it... also in the picture of the seals, should I replace those too... the smaller one seems offset in there...its my concern... its it supposed to just kinda float and not touch all the way around until you put the axle through it... I'm pretty excited so far... and not a bad job for a girl 😏 lol
Well done! Hope my daughter is a resourceful when she grows up!

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals