• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 b2 tank swap into 98 ranger

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
i ran into some problems with my swap. i ben doing a lot of research and talked with a few people about this swap. everything i found and heard said that when it comes to the electrical and plumbing of the thnk is straight forward and is pretty close to plug and play. i found that this is not the case when it comes to my swap. i pulled a tank from a 86 b2 that has a 2.9 fuel injected v6. i got the tank mounted and re-positioned my charcoal canister. this is where i hit a brick wall. the diameter of the sender/pump on the B2 tank is smaller then the my sender/pump on my oem tank. im not to happy but im going to enjoy figuring out this problem.

so my question is where do i go from here. i have some ideas but i would like to here some others.

does not hang to low

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
You can't just plumb in-line reducers?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can't just plumb in-line reducers?
I think he means his 98 pump doesn't fit through the hole in the tank.

90 went to a 1-pump system. Should give you the pressure you need and fit the tank. The other option is to get a pump replacement kit (not a sender assembly) for a 4.0 and put it on the 86 sender unit.

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Can sombody fill me in on this? Like why you would want to run a b2 tank in a ranger?
is it for the duel tank set up? or is it to reposition the weight of the truck and counter the lean issue?
:icon_confused:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

90 went to a 1-pump system. Should give you the pressure you need and fit the tank. The other option is to get a pump replacement kit (not a sender assembly) for a 4.0 and put it on the 86 sender unit.
Then he will still have the problem with the senders resistance not matching the fuel gauge. They changed around 88-89.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"

Ah. :icon_idea: lol ADSM, pulling through with the common sense and knowledge, yet again. :icon_thumby:

I'm unfamiliar with the resistance values between the BII years and motor choices.

Can sombody fill me in on this? Like why you would want to run a b2 tank in a ranger?
is it for the duel tank set up? or is it to reposition the weight of the truck and counter the lean issue?
People do this swap for difference reasons. Some people do it to run dual tanks, change weight distribution, or increase ground clearance, but most people on here do it to fit a doubler setup.

(This isn't meant to sound condescending, but some 2WD people haven't heard of a doubler.) They mate two transfer cases together (usually a BW1354 or 1350 combinations), for increased gear reduction in rock crawling situations. This makes the overall x-case length longer, necessitating the shorter gas tank or a rear mount BII fuel tank.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
In addition to what Pete said, the B2 had the largest single-tank capacity of any RBV. The twin-tank Rangers had more, but the system is much more complex and you only gain about 2 gallons of capacity going that route.

Then he will still have the problem with the senders resistance not matching the fuel gauge. They changed around 88-89.
True. I think it was 89 that the resistance changed, since 89 is when the dash and instrument cluster changed. But you can pick up a fuel level sender, for about $25, but I'd go the whole 89/90 sender route.

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
im doing this for the weight distribution but mainly i want to design a cantilever shock set up to be forward of the axle.

this is what my pump/sender looks like. plus the diameter of the mounting plate is about 1.5" larger.

notice the sender in this pic. the mounting plate is smaller.

with all the material that i have found said this will be a simple swap.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Put an '89 BII pump/ sender assembly in and call it a day.

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
i do not see how that will work. if my sender/pump did not have that black thing i would.

an idea that i have is that i will use the b2 sender, ranger pump, and drill a hole in the top of the b2 tank for the black sensor on the ranger sender. from there i will match wire and hop my truck does not go boom.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Thats a fuel tank pressure sensor. You could possibly drill a hole in the top of the tank and remount it?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
In addition to what Pete said, the B2 had the largest single-tank capacity of any RBV. The twin-tank Rangers had more, but the system is much more complex and you only gain about 2 gallons of capacity going that route.

True. I think it was 89 that the resistance changed, since 89 is when the dash and instrument cluster changed. But you can pick up a fuel level sender, for about $25, but I'd go the whole 89/90 sender route.

theres a 23 gallon ranger tank...the huge loooong and fat bastard plastic one with the plastic spinny cap to hold the sender...i think i had one from a 95 or something...due to my powertrain and old style frame bridging at the time i had it bed mounted for a bit. also i had two what i thought were 26 gallon huge fat bastard explorer tanks from 4 doors for extended range in my psd on the floor.
maybe i remember those wrong...i did physical vol checks on them with water though...maybe i remember it wrong.

im doing this for the weight distribution but mainly i want to design a cantilever shock set up to be forward of the axle.

this is what my pump/sender looks like. plus the diameter of the mounting plate is about 1.5" larger.

notice the sender in this pic. the mounting plate is smaller.

with all the material that i have found said this will be a simple swap.

i would trim down the newer unit or fit that shit to the b2 unit....or make a custom piece. generally i make a custom one with 10 gauge so you can make it stout as you can.

its a couple hour pia detour at worst.

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
this is what i came up with to solve the issue i had. the swap was not as plug and play like as i had hopped. the main reason it did not go as smooth is because i was dropping a (OBDI) 89 bronco 2 tank in to a (OBDII) 98 ranger frame.

this is what your sender should look like

this is what my sender looked like.

this is what i had to do to make it work for me. (I do not recommend anybody doing this)

98 ranger sender cut up

hole cut in to tank to match the plate cut from the sender

plate from send tiged into the b2 tank. the blank sensor measures the in tank pressure and the little white thing use to have the wires that powered the pump go through it. is just a plug now. im using the connector on the 89 b2 sender power the pump.

89 b2 sender with 98 ranger pump

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals