• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 Ranger Throttle Response Issue

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
A good way to locate a vacuum leak is with a long piece of small tubing. Stick one end in your ear and search around the gaskets under the carb even the manifold gaskets. The louder you hear the hissing the closer to the leak. Just stick the tube in the carb Venturi to hear what your listening for. The easiest one to miss is the fuel vapor purge port on the intake manifold pointing back to the firewall. It is hard to see hidden under the brake booster. It goes around to the carb float bowl and vapor canister next to the radiator. I hate the smell of fuel under the hood so getting the vapor system working properly eliminates that.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You can do the same thing for pinpointing exhaust leaks the louder the tick the closer to the leak. Just tape the tube to a stick to get to hard to reach places…

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
Sounds like your classic dead spot on a cold engine? Does it improve after the engine comes up to temp? Is your electric choke working properly? I also put in a power valve that opens when the vacuum drops below 8.5hg. Sounds like a choke issue to me do you know what size main jets are in the carb?
No idea
image.jpg

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
image.jpg

line under steering pump blocked, no idea why
image.jpg

and a open port near intake manifold under the carb.

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
Sounds like your classic dead spot on a cold engine? Does it improve after the engine comes up to temp? Is your electric choke working properly? I also put in a power valve that opens when the vacuum drops below 8.5hg. Sounds like a choke issue to me do you know what size main jets are in the carb?
IMG_3534.jpeg
IMG_3537.jpeg
IMG_3532.jpeg
IMG_3533.jpeg

Okay ive attatched images, first things first theres a line blocked off thats under the steering pump, there is a peice under the carb on the manifold i think that has vacuum, didnt have a line so i blocked it and it ran abit better but still bogged wot, i noticed inside the carb fuel was somehow being ignited, not noticeable though. The accelerator pump is leaking, might be bad from what im hearing. Also i dont think the electric choke works i honestly have no idea. But when i do choke it , it seems to go to WOT alot better so im thinking its leaning out because accell pump isnt doing its job? It idles rough and i can hear it misfire here and there but other than that it idles on its own. I just wanna be able to go wode throttle and not die out. Plus i need to work on the charging system, it doesnt stay running without a battery

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
Would it be worth to replace the whole carb maybe if possible and run the tfi until then?

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
If you still have the feedback carb, you probably have the accelerator pump with the vacuum line going to it. There was a control switch that applied vacuum or didn't apply vacuum, and that varied the output of the pump. If you want full output, just disconnect and plug the line. That's how I am running mine with no problems. When it applied vacuum, it redirected part of the fuel shot back to the pump inlet, reducing the amount of fuel that went into the engine. What a complicated mess that engine system is (was on my engine, I took it all off).
heres a photo, which vacuum line?

Attachments

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
Did you find the vacuum diagram under the hood. In the tech library click engines then click ignition charging computer then click EEC-IV diagnostics. Find the diagnostic connector under the hood and make a jumper wire to reset the computer and erase the codes. All you need is a test light or VOM to pull the codes. It is easier to have someone write the numbers down as you count. How many miles are on the odometer?
Can you link this to me and explain it more? I am replacing the accelerator pump and the rubber plunger since it literally disintegrated on me while removing it, maybe it had something to do with it, and the gasket was no good. Most of the lines like emissions and stuff are blocked off, so would it still do me good “resetting” the codes. Not sure how it really works everything under the hood is a mess but i do know the MAP and the ignition coil is there with vacuum line attached and no leaks from what i can tell. Vacuum tree is also blocked off. Green vacuum wire next to the accell pump i blocked off if thats what everyone talks about

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
That black elbow to the right of the fuel filter.
Its blocked. Ran it today runs so much smoother and idles on its own great, still hesistates but fixed it because the vains for the accelerator pump was clogged. I cleaned it and it intermittently clogs and doesnt spray consistant so im going to fix that.

even when both vains were spraying good it seems to still hesitate. Everything vacuum wise is blocked off. I added a new fuel filter thats visible just so i can see how fuel looks and its pretty clean, imma just go over and clean the carb again.

someone mentioned resetting the codes by grounding a wire? Would that help and how do i do that?

this problem slowly became a big problem so maybe i need to replace spark plugs or something ignition related??

again accelerator pump has been replaced, cleaned the vains and issue seems to still persist.

The choke plate seems to be working properly

Attachments

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Is #3 the fuel filter? I know there is a inline one on the rail. But i want to change #3 but not sure which part i need. Going to change the one on the rail and put a clear filter in between so i can see how fuel looks
Yep #3 is the fuel filter

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
Yep #3 is the fuel filter
Any ideas why issue might persist? Tfi related? Idles really good just still has a hesitation at WOT. Does run alot smoother and responsive since the work i did do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals