• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 Ranger Throttle Response Issue

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Any ideas why issue might persist? Tfi related? Idles really good just still has a hesitation at WOT. Does run alot smoother and responsive since the work i did do.
Im not super up on the feedback 2150's.

Generally on the older mechanical 2150's a hesitation right off idle would be the acclerator pump.

Bogging at full throttle would be most likely the bypass/power/WOT (whatever you wanna call it) valve, or incorrect float setting. It could also be a vacuum leak, or choke issue (as in its not opening)

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
Im not super up on the feedback 2150's.

Generally on the older mechanical 2150's a hesitation right off idle would be the acclerator pump.

Bogging at full throttle would be most likely the bypass/power/WOT (whatever you wanna call it) valve, or incorrect float setting. It could also be a vacuum leak, or choke issue (as in its not opening)
Choke opens when motor is warm, that works properly. Acceleration pump replaced included the rubber plunge. All vacuum lines have been plugged (egr, vac tree, etc) in my eyes everything looks right but i think the problem is under my nose. Im going to see if replacing the carb filter helps because ive always had issues with dirty/clogged filters from a nasty fuel tank. Would new spark plugs help at all? Or anything tune up related?

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
Im going to do more research on the ignition circuit upon further research maybe something to do with my timing advance? Maybe something electronically isnt right.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Choke opens when motor is warm, that works properly. Acceleration pump replaced included the rubber plunge. All vacuum lines have been plugged (egr, vac tree, etc) in my eyes everything looks right but i think the problem is under my nose. Im going to see if replacing the carb filter helps because ive always had issues with dirty/clogged filters from a nasty fuel tank. Would new spark plugs help at all? Or anything tune up related?
I mean plugs and a fuel filter isnt going to hurt anything for sure.

It could possibly be igniton related....but more with timing i would think...usually igniton issues (besides a coil) will cause a missfire more then an overall bog.

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
I mean plugs and a fuel filter isnt going to hurt anything for sure.

It could possibly be igniton related....but more with timing i would think...usually igniton issues (besides a coil) will cause a missfire more then an overall bog.
Should i try picking up a control module from the parts store?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Should i try picking up a control module from the parts store?
Those usually will cause just flat stalling or refusal to start

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
What about a fuel mixture solenoid on my carb? Or possibly timing?
Either of those could cause a bog at full throttle

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Take the dist cap off and grab the rotor and push it back and forth.

When I was running the 2.8 I used to have one day it just quit and would not run anymore going down the highway. It would try to start after I towed it home but would not go. The weird thing about it, I was checking for spark and accidentally left #5 sparkplug wire off. Went in to crank it and it started right up, but of course it was missing on #5. So I stopped it, put #5 back on, went to start it, and it would not start. Weird? So I thought what are the chances? I took #5 sparkplug wire back off and it started. I then put a glove on and put #5 back on when it was running and it kept running. Really weird.

I kept messing with it, till I was messing with the distributor and found a lot of play in the main shaft of the distributor. This was my "rebuilt" Cardone distributor I bought. Of course by then you could not get one. I did a lot of reearch and found out the bushing they sell for the old mustang distributors was the same as these. Took it all apart, put a new bushing in place, and also robbed parts out of another distributor to work on the advance weight mechanism, it had a lot of wear also. Finally got it back in and it started right up, everything back to normal.

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
The brass fitting for the fuel filter broke off inside the carb so i gotta pull it off now and retap new threads for the fuel inlet 😵💫

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Easy out will not get the fitting out of the carb?

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
Easy out will not get the fitting out of the carb?
Nope i just drilled everything out dissembled some things and cleaned everything out. Retapped new threads and used a hose adapter since i already have 2 filters inline.

alot of things were nasty and sludged but its cleaned up. The mixture control solenoid was also dirty and the gasket was just completely blocked?? Anyone can explain? Photos attatched. Other than that the replacement for it on ebay is 100$+

Also is there any articles on adjusting the electric choke?
IMG_3563.jpeg
IMG_3562.jpeg
IMG_3561.jpeg

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Nope i just drilled everything out dissembled some things and cleaned everything out. Retapped new threads and used a hose adapter since i already have 2 filters inline.

alot of things were nasty and sludged but its cleaned up. The mixture control solenoid was also dirty and the gasket was just completely blocked?? Anyone can explain? Photos attatched. Other than that the replacement for it on ebay is 100$+

Also is there any articles on adjusting the electric choke?View attachment 111668View attachment 111669View attachment 111670

You have two filters inline?

Im not sure but dont the 2.8 run a mechanical fuel pump?

That could be causing some of your issue.

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
You have two filters inline?

Im not sure but dont the 2.8 run a mechanical fuel pump?

That could be causing some of your issue.
Theres one under the frame rail i still need the replace and there is another that is suppose to go on the carb also, since that got broken i replaced it with a hose adapter and just put a clear filter in between, check photos, but fuel isnt a issue, pressure is good and carb was shooting fuel pretty good after i cleaned it up.

pretty much curious about the mixture solenoid and why it was capped off, my only guess is since its a ON OFF solenoid i assume it is blocked so it stays shut?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals