• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'84 Bronco II reanimation thread

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
Cleaning up nicely! Doesn't look like an abandoned vehicle anymore!

I think I'm going to go get a mighty-vac to get a really good job of bleeding the brakes. They are getting better after another round of pump pump hold but I think the mighty vac will just finish it off. Then we can focus on the fun stuff!
Man, that thing is in awesome shape!! I love it!!

:icon_cheers:
B2

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
i really do like the white on green paint scheme.

jhammel85

It's such a good looking truck. Don't give up! It's been sitting a while - These things happen when they sit.

My vote would be to swap in the 302. Then you know your investment of time and money is worth it. The 2.8 sounds like it needs just about everything to run again.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Well I drove an 80 mile round trip after work today at 65mph and other than losing 2 quarts of oil due to the failed rear main seal, it ran and drove awesome.

A vehicle that's been sitting for several years is going to need a lot of TLC to get it up and running again. I'd get it all cleaned up and change out all the seals, and gaskets because if you don't you'll regret it, as soon as you heat that engine up those dried out gaskets and seals are going to start to fail and give you problems. I know, that's what has happened to my 84 B2. I'm slowly getting mine mechanically operating the right way as much as I can, its going to take a lot of time but I really like my Bronco II.

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So, I'm not going to junk it. I think I'm going to just take my time with it. The inital excitement of haing it run anf the disappointent of it konking out were emotional, but after sitting fora week, I cooled off. This afternoon, we strapped it to the F-250 and put it ack in the back yard. I need it out of the way while I tinker with it.

I think my next stps beore I invest alot if money is going to be checking the compression. I need to figure out if the motor is worth screwing with. If it is, I think I'll Duraspark it, if not, then I'll start hunting for a 302 to drop in it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Glad to hear you are saving it. Trust me I was in your same shoes about a month ago with my 84 B2 with its issues, but I've driven it every day for 2 weeks and so far its doing great other than the oil leak from the rear main seal. The more I drive mine the more I like it. Some day I'll get the rust problems fixed, but its going to be a long and slow process to get it looking good again, sadly the previous owner of mine didn't do anything to it to keep it from rusting any farther, and didn't keep up with any maintenance at all.

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Glad to hear you are saving it. Trust me I was in your same shoes about a month ago with my 84 B2 with its issues, but I've driven it every day for 2 weeks and so far its doing great other than the oil leak from the rear main seal. The more I drive mine the more I like it. Some day I'll get the rust problems fixed, but its going to be a long and slow process to get it looking good again, sadly the previous owner of mine didn't do anything to it to keep it from rusting any farther, and didn't keep up with any maintenance at all.
My daughter and I have decided to start looking for something else for her. Something newer and probably more reliabe and tat handles better.

I'm having a bit if separation anxiety also :D

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
LOL, I'd seriously keep it though. Can't remember all your issues you are having with it, but after new head gaskets, new valve cover gaskets, new oil pan gasket, new starter, new clutch master/slave cylinder, and soon to be rear main seal and 4 starter solenoids my 84 Bronco 2 is starting to be a more reliable vehicle now. It just looks horrible due to the rust issues and the paint is horribly faded and damaged.

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
I've been reading this thread with interest....keep at it! None of us want to see your Bronco die. It's a sweet looking ride.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals