• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 swap

BuckskinRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 / 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l / 4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Ok I currently have a 7.5 rear end with a lock rite in my 3.0 5 speed. I found a ranger 8.8 on kijiji and I am going to buy it or go to the junkyard when I'm home to see if I can get an explorer with l/s. my questions are if I buy a 4.10 open 8.8 ( the one on kijiji) ill get a locker installed but should I re-gear to 4.56 with a locker. I tow a trailer and a quad behing my ranger so that's the big question. What gears. :dunno:

Second is how so the splines work, do I need to worry about this rear end have more splines then my stock on, then hope the driveshaft will bolt up to it?

Ill do more research about the explorer 8.8 but would I have to relocate the perches for the spring on the axle for my ranger or what. Ill be getting the gears and locker installed at a shop so I don't have to worry.

Any info or advise would help a lot thanks!

Kyle.

BuckskinRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 / 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l / 4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Well I just answered some of my questions... I keep forgetting about the tech forum. :icon_confused: well I think I'm going to settle for the ranger 8.8 and get it geared and locked. L/S is fine but I'm already getting new gears might as well pass on the L/S. So now gear ratio question is all that's left.

I know the expo 8.8 rear end is stronger but if I need something "towed" ill use my 1 ton. What if I went bigger then 4.56, would that help my motor not wanting to stall out when I'm pushing it off road? Cause that gets annoying. :icon_bounceblue:

Kyle.

BuckskinRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 / 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l / 4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Rangurr are Aussie lockers just a lot better build, stronger, etc? Read lots of builds of guys running them. I don't think I've ever read one breaking either. What do they cost usually, canadian prices? Anyone know off the top of there head?

Rangurr

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Lets cover the first questions first: Gear selection depends on your engine size and tire size that you want to have. There are lots of online calculators that will help you choose the right ratio. When I do my swap, I'm planning on 4.56's in an Explorer 8.8. I know of a lot of people use the 4:10's and a few use the 5:13's.

Having the higher ratio will give your more torque basically. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that was what you were saying when you said not stalling out. You'll have more lo end.

I'm not nearly as educated about the aussie lockers as I would like to be but I can tell you this. Every forum I have read about them (Fords, Chevy's, Jeeps, and so on), has people who love them. From what I understand, it will force each wheel to go at least 100% of the diff speed but will allow them to go faster. For example: a fully locked diff would be 100% and 100% around a corner - causing you to screech around. Supposedly the aussie would allow a 100% inner and an outer wheel speed of over 100%. Don't quote me on this but this is the closest info I've found.

Best of luck

Also Kyle.

BuckskinRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 / 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l / 4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Kyle great info. Well I have what people call the 3.slow with 30.5 inch tires. 245/75/16 dura tracs, and I doubt ill go bigger, maybe one day up to 33 or 285/75/16. I also have some 265/75/16 dura tracs. The wranglers were free and the 285's are all terrains from bf Goodrich.

The rear end I'm buying is a ranger 8.8 with 4:10 open so I can just buy a locker for that but I think I want higher. I was going to take it to alberta driveline in edmonton to get them to rear gear and lock it. I think ill be happy with 4.56 just incase I did go to my 33's.

Any advice? Il try to find a calculator online.

Thanks

Kyle.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 3.0 had 4.10 and l/s and I had a ton of power(for a 3.0 :) ) with the 30.5 tires. I would have had no problem going to a bigger tire.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals