• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5R55e pan on A4LD?

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys.

I both hate and deeply distrust automatic transmissions, however I did just buy my dad a ‘94 4x4 4.0 with 77k because he’s getting up there and is tired of driving manual.

I’m trying to change all fluids and make the trans as reliable as possible. It’s currently working correctly. I plan on regular fluid/filter changes and adding an external cooler to use instead of the one internal to the radiator.

I was told by a questionable source that I could swap the A4LD pan for a 5r55e pan and gain both some capacity and a drain plug. Is that true?

Also, is routing the trans lines out of and away from the stock radiator a viable option? I’m sure that an external cooler will perform better, but I’m not sure if the trans fluid temperature is regulated to some extent above ambient by the stock rad/trans cooler combo. In other words, will completely separating the trans cooler from the radiator create a situation where the fluid is too cold to perform correctly because the engine coolant isn’t warming it?

thanks.

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also, what is the current consensus for the best Mercon substitute? Thanks again.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Yes you can swap a 5r55e pan on to the A4LD but you won’t gain any noticeable capacity increase. You already have the deep pan since it’s a 4x4.

Adding a trans cooler is always a good idea, but you shouldn’t eliminate the factory cooler. You want some temperature in the fluid.

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes you can swap a 5r55e pan on to the A4LD but you won’t gain any noticeable capacity increase. You already have the deep pan since it’s a 4x4.

Adding a trans cooler is always a good idea, but you shouldn’t eliminate the factory cooler. You want some temperature in the fluid.
Thanks, that was my concern. I’d love to eliminate that 28 year old radiator as a source of failure but I can understand not wanting the trans fluid to be completely cold.

That leads me to my next question though: Additional cooler pre or post radiator? Pre would make more sense to me, if we’re looking for that 180-195* temperature returning to the trans.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well, I got everything opened last night and I’m pretty sure I’m the first one to ever be in it.

ancient looking ford filter with square pickup, gasket with tiny steel stand offs built in.

Fluid looks absolutely terrible. I’m almost sure it’s the original stuff from 28 years ago. Hopefully the extreme discoloration is from old age more than clutch material. I was able to weld in a drain bung in the pan. Im going to drive a few miles and drain it again, I’ll probably do this several times in the next few days then replace the filter again. Hopefully me disturbing it doesn’t lead to failure.

RedBowTies88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Transfer case fluid was equally black.
I guess that’s a good sign that it’s more from old age than cooked clutches.

I also just pulled out what I’m sure is the original air cleaner. Nuts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals