• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5r55e odd problem

03Ranger1963

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 2003 ranger xlt 4x4. I had the 5r55e rebuilt by a long time tranny shop last summer. This is what it does, it seems to work ok but at times with cruise on it acts like it shift in and out of gear until you floor it to pass someone. It then instantly jumps to 5500rpm like it kicks out of gear then the rpms drop back down and it slams into passing gear. First i took it to a garage and got the eom brain updated, no luck. Then back to the tranny shop and they tried all new servos, no luck. Then they put a new brain in it and no luck. I just put a new vss in it, no luck. The tranny shop has had it apart 3 different times and cant find anything mechanical. The old guy that rebuilt it swears its something electrical. It does starnge things like it has lost its mind. Also there are no codes set. Has anyone had this problem and how was it cured?

funguy26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/75R16
Is the Overdrive off blinking? if so the PCM has found a issue with the transmission is going to electrical or mechanical. The PCM will shut off power to the solenoids in the transmission then put the transmission in limp home mode and leave it in 4th gear for the 5r55e. The PCM monuters the transmission performance as you drive. PCM commands 3th with the shift solenoids. checks with the input and output speed sensors for 3th. If transmission responds with 3th, the PCM keeps running the transmission. If the transmission responds with 2nd, The PCM trys for 3th one more time and cranks up line pressure if the transmission fails to go into 3th it stops and jumps in to limp home mode.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have a 2003 ranger xlt 4x4. I had the 5r55e rebuilt by a long time tranny shop last summer. This is what it does, it seems to work ok but at times with cruise on it acts like it shift in and out of gear until you floor it to pass someone. It then instantly jumps to 5500rpm like it kicks out of gear then the rpms drop back down and it slams into passing gear. First i took it to a garage and got the eom brain updated, no luck. Then back to the tranny shop and they tried all new servos, no luck. Then they put a new brain in it and no luck. I just put a new vss in it, no luck. The tranny shop has had it apart 3 different times and cant find anything mechanical. The old guy that rebuilt it swears its something electrical. It does starnge things like it has lost its mind. Also there are no codes set. Has anyone had this problem and how was it cured?
Wtf does "put a new brain in it" mean...

03Ranger1963

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the replies, first to funguy26, no the OD light is not flashing. The light turns on/off when button is pushed, to turn OD on/off and so forth. But no flashing. There are no dash lights on at all and when the tranny shop guy plugs his test equipment in and drives the truck there are no codes. There has been 3 different transmision people try to figure this out but nothing yet. They are all stumped.

Second to Dirtman, im sorry i confused you by saying "brain" i figured most people would understand i meant PCM when i said brain, but i guess not. My bad.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did your mechanic install a new BondedGasket+Plate above the ValveBody; old style gasket, that may be BlownOut\Leaking?
Can get an entire new ValveBody+BondedGasket+Plate+Solenoids from CentralValveBody (Oklahoma) for $200~$300.

03Ranger1963

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To Dillard000, thanks for the reply. I will talk with the mechanics and ask about what you mentioned.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You should be able to get the bonded gasket without buying everything too. I just learned about that, unfortunately it doesn’t appear to apply to my A4LD or I’d get a bonded one

03Ranger1963

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for all the replies. I talked to the mechanic, he said they did use a bonded gasket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals