• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 EFI upgrades

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Soo… finally got back to trying to work on this project. Pulled the harmonic damper, pulled the last bolts for the timing chain cover, double checked, and tried wiggling it free only to have a corner break off. As luck would have it, the timing chain also appears to have a pretty good amount of slack to my uneducated eyes. So I guess that needs done, although there seems to be hundreds of listings for them on Summit Racing.

Here is where I’m at now. Thinking I want to do roller rockers, new valve springs and retainers, timing chain or gears, and a new/used timing chain cover. Possibly a cam. Deal with throttle body and such later. Can anyone give me part numbers or something for like Summit or wherever to get what I need? I’ve tried looking but I confess I don’t really know much about this and worry about getting the wrong parts. There’s a lot of parts that have multiple listings and I have no idea what the difference is other than the part number, especially the timing chain stuff. Doesn’t help that I’m still dealing with a lot of brain problems from my double concussions. I like getting stuff from Summit since they are kinda convenient, but if somewhere else has a better product or price, I’m not opposed to ordering from whoever. Just not precisely sure what exactly I need.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If you need the roller rockers to bolt on and not deal with studs, etc, this is it:

Alex's parts will set you up with valve springs and such if you tell them the cam and everything that you're working with. They've got a good reputation and I was very happy with them.

No idea on timing chain cover...

I'd consider getting an adjustable timing setup. Pretty sure I'd be happier if I'd properly degreed my cam and used a kit like that to get everything dialed in just right instead of trusting that dot to dot was good enough.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Oh, and valve covers can be a nightmare with the roller rockers. Supposedly there's a stock Mustang cast aluminum cover that works, but I ordered the wrong set and ended up going a different direction. The Spectre covers I've got are good quality and plenty of room for the rockers, but they created new problems to solve with EGR fitment, etc.

Once you've got taller valve covers to clear the rockers, you'll probably have to get an Edelbrock EGR spacer.

It's a cascading series of small problems to work through.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Oh, and valve covers can be a nightmare with the roller rockers. Supposedly there's a stock Mustang cast aluminum cover that works, but I ordered the wrong set and ended up going a different direction. The Spectre covers I've got are good quality and plenty of room for the rockers, but they created new problems to solve with EGR fitment, etc.

Once you've got taller valve covers to clear the rockers, you'll probably have to get an Edelbrock EGR spacer.

It's a cascading series of small problems to work through.
Well, EGR is not part of my plan for this motor. It was broken on the donor and the headers don’t have an option for it. So the plan was to just go ahead and delete, save me a few headaches. Plus it will help with heater hose routing since my metal tubes were looking pretty poorly and I’m looking at changing the setup there a little. Not quite sure what all of my options are there, was in the process of trying to work out if I could use some -AN fittings and aluminum tube to replace the steel tubes when I had my concussions.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Well, EGR is not part of my plan for this motor. It was broken on the donor and the headers don’t have an option for it. So the plan was to just go ahead and delete, save me a few headaches. Plus it will help with heater hose routing since my metal tubes were looking pretty poorly and I’m looking at changing the setup there a little. Not quite sure what all of my options are there, was in the process of trying to work out if I could use some -AN fittings and aluminum tube to replace the steel tubes when I had my concussions.
If you can find these for a good price, I like them a lot:

The only quality issue I ran into was that the valve cover bolt holes were just a hair too small. Easy to expand.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, the motor is going back together. Kind of. Gave the valves a quick peek and the exhaust valves are pretty pitted. Intake looks good though. Probably going to end up just giving them a quick grind and roll. Need to get this thing back together. I do have a line on another motor to use to build, so I think performance is going to move that direction.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So for anyone who stumbles across this…

I ran out of time and money so cam, rockers and such didn’t happen yet. 3.73s and an un-modded transmission work ok with 31s, but not the greatest. No worries though, the 31s are a little too big now that it’s been lowered. In short, they rub. But that’s not a problem either, I figured smaller tires were going to be needed. Realistically, after lowering it with the Explorer suspension goodies, it needs 29” tires and bigger rims, there’s waaay lots of sidewall flex. So with some transmission work and other tweaks, some wide 29” tires on 18” Explorer rims and it should be good and happy. @holyford86 got to drive it as it currently is and agrees.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals