• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 EFI upgrades

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
inless your running a tire bigger than a 31-10.50 Id think 3.73’s would be fine, I wouldnt think the awd transfer case would take much power away.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
As far as a vacuum leak you mean? It would be a likely explanation but I could never find one visually, audibly, or with a smoke machine or unlit propane torch.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
inless your running a tire bigger than a 31-10.50 Id think 3.73’s would be fine, I wouldnt think the awd transfer case would take much power away.
In hilly country 3.73's would cause a bunch of downshifting and transmission wear.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'm running a '99 Explorer GT40P engine with no changes to the short block. Cam is a Comp Cams 35-510-8. Similar duration to stock but a decent jump in lift. Valve springs and such were provided by Alex's Parts based on the cam specs. Roller rockers are Scorpion SCP-1021's. Those required new valve covers because they were too big for the stock units. The best option I could find to solve that problem was the Spectre 5018 polished aluminum set. I didn't like any of the cheap stamped covers I could find, and these were less than $100. Unfortunately, they're -REALLY- tall. I already had a 1" Edelbrock intake spacer installed, but even with that they barely fit under the GT40 upper intake. I had to tweak a few fittings for the upper to clear. The only thing that I haven't resolved is making the EGR tube from the OBX headers connect to the valve on the upper.

The system runs well. I'm just frustrated that I've still got a rough idle and 16-18 inches of intake vacuum. The cam specs don't really explain that. But there's certainly no shortage of power available.

There were all sorts of problems along the way, but those are a different story that could be avoided entirely by making sure the parts you're installing are actually what you ordered.
That cam has a lot more duration than stock, it's 208/216 @ 50, the original was about 188/198 @ 50, the lobe separation is 112, the stock one was something like 116. You definitely want to stay with 4.10's.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
For some reason I thought the stock Explorer cam had longer duration than that. Either way - it's tolerable, just rougher than I'd expected when choosing it.

4.10 is what I've got now but I'd love to toss in something deeper like 4.56 or even 4.88. I'm just not willing to put a lot of money into that, especially as little as I drive it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My '00 Explorer has 3.73's and 31" tires, with a shift kit in the 4R70W and a shimmed up limited slip the thing runs good but I'm running a manual transfer case now... the '98 V8 explorer I have has 3.73's too and is still stock with 255 75 16's so about the same I think... both cruise around 65mph at around 2000rpm, fuel mileage seems to drop off past there (don't know if it's from aerodynamics or just fuel tune profile...). Both are getting older though, '00 has 255k miles '98 has like 235k... both average about 16-18mpg highway. Losing 1000 pounds or so in a Ranger would probably add some.

My plans for the '00 are likely a 347 kit and such, the 4R70W in it is already built enough to handle a mild build... but that thing also has full width axles, 5.13 gears and 37" tires in it's future...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
31x10.50-15 is what I’m running, same as what was on it with 4.10 and the 4.0

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
As far as a vacuum leak you mean? It would be a likely explanation but I could never find one visually, audibly, or with a smoke machine or unlit propane torch.
Interesting. I recently got myself a smoke machine but haven’t fired it up yet. Never had much luck tracing vacuum leaks

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
In hilly country 3.73's would cause a bunch of downshifting and transmission wear.
It is kinda hilly here, but I’m not expecting it to be a problem. My first Ranger had 3.73s and it went just fine. Heck, my choptop has 4.10s and 35s. Now 3.08 or maybe 3.45 might be a problem, my F-150 came with 3.08 and one of the best things I did was change it to 3.55

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My '00 Explorer has 3.73's and 31" tires, with a shift kit in the 4R70W and a shimmed up limited slip the thing runs good but I'm running a manual transfer case now... the '98 V8 explorer I have has 3.73's too and is still stock with 255 75 16's so about the same I think... both cruise around 65mph at around 2000rpm, fuel mileage seems to drop off past there (don't know if it's from aerodynamics or just fuel tune profile...). Both are getting older though, '00 has 255k miles '98 has like 235k... both average about 16-18mpg highway. Losing 1000 pounds or so in a Ranger would probably add some.

My plans for the '00 are likely a 347 kit and such, the 4R70W in it is already built enough to handle a mild build... but that thing also has full width axles, 5.13 gears and 37" tires in it's future...
What shift kit did you go with and would you do anything different with the trans?

My original plan when I first started collecting parts was a 347, but then I did some reading and found that many said it wasn’t suited for a dd and typically had shorter lifespan. The recommendation was 331 if you still want dd so that’s where I had settled. Unfortunately the engine having a substantial oil leak that was suspected to be the rear main, the motor feeling a bit weak, and the transmission blowing up before I was ready means that I don’t get to do everything I had wanted. Add in the 92 getting totaled and I just don’t have the luxury of doing the 331 right now.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is kinda hilly here, but I’m not expecting it to be a problem. My first Ranger had 3.73s and it went just fine. Heck, my choptop has 4.10s and 35s. Now 3.08 or maybe 3.45 might be a problem, my F-150 came with 3.08 and one of the best things I did was change it to 3.55
I run everywhere fine with 3.73's/31's. Even with the Skamper in the back set the cruise and let her eat.

I do have a 5 speed but I don't lack for power in hills.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I run everywhere fine with 3.73's/31's. Even with the Skamper in the back set the cruise and let her eat.

I do have a 5 speed but I don't lack for power in hills.
Pretty much what I figured. Even though I’ll have an auto I’m expecting my setup to do just fine. Especially if I can tweak a little more oomph out of the motor

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The first thing you will want to do is put some decent valve springs on those heads.

If you want a nice bump in performance without spending a lot of money on a cam, just pick up a used cam from a Mustang GT from the late 80s or early 90s. The Mustang guys typically want to upgrade so they have been available and cheap, and quite a bit better than the Explorer cam.

Those would be the first 2 things I would do.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I don't know what shift kit got put in, I have a friend that does transmissions and he ordered stuff, I just gave him money... it didn't get into the programming, all just parts and valve body mods (original valve body) or whatever... even just a stock replacement converter. I wouldn't change anything in that trans, quick predictable solid shifts, almost always does what I want it to do.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what shift kit got put in, I have a friend that does transmissions and he ordered stuff, I just gave him money... it didn't get into the programming, all just parts and valve body mods (original valve body) or whatever... even just a stock replacement converter. I wouldn't change anything in that trans, quick predictable solid shifts, almost always does what I want it to do.
I did a shift kit and some valve body work on the A4LD that is in the 92, just ran through what was posted on an explorer forum and it made a world of difference, I never want to drive an un-modded A4LD again. Haven’t done a whole lot of looking into the trans that came in the 302 Explorer, but a casual search says you can do just about anything you want to those. So that’s something I’ll have to figure out at some point. Thought maybe if you knew what was used that it might be a good starting point for me

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals