• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 passenger-side front drive axle. U-joints

EMRdragon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my 4wd hasn't been working for me and i finally got around to checking my ujoint, all of my front axle joints were shot. i delt with driver side easy-peasy, however, unlike the driver side, the passenger side doesn't slip out of the diff. i manage to get the outter part of the axle off(by seperating at the slip-joint). but the inner ones need to be changed too. any help on how to get it off?

(94 ranger xlt, dayna 35, IFS)

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You can try to either do it in place by cutting the U joint out and pressing in a new one with a balljoint press or you have to remove the entire diff assembly from the axle beam as there is a c clip inside holding that short shaft in.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the 3rd member and do a c-clip eliminator. Don't waste your time doing it any other way.

Don't forget to install spicer 760-x joints instead of regular 297-x's. Also do the snap-ring mod... check the tech section for all the how-to's. It can be a good amount of time at first, but when it has to be done again, you'll be very thankful.

EMRdragon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
we ended up removing the driver side control arm and IFS. it wasn't as hard as we originally thought. we hot wrenched the big nuts and used a steel plate as an additional heat guard. as the control arm was in the way of removing the pinch bolt we used a sledge hammer to knock it out of the way to remove the bolt and a couple wacks to the diff housing made it separate. we didn't replace the c clip with a spring as we decided i won't be off-roading so much as it's a possible concern. thankfully the whole process was easier than expected, we did not have to remove the spring. it just felt out of its place in the top of the wheel well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals