• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 dont work, and light stays on all the time

4x4.Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
was out wheeling in the snow and i went to put the truck in low range and the low range light came on for a second then both the low range and 4x4 lights went off. i shut the truck off and restarted it and tried to put in 4 wheel but the light turned on but it did not lock in?!? the truck says its in 4 wheel but it is in 2 wheel and the 4x4 light stays on all the time?!? the truck is a 94 4.0L any help would be awesome

-Ryan

toddk01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I can't remember the 94s that well. If it is an automated lock system, listen when you hit the switch for a clicking noise behind the glove box. That is the transfer case motor control module. If you do hear a click and the light comes on but no engage it is most likely the transfer case shift motor. You can try to rebuild the shift motor or bang on it :) (there is an article or two on here how to do that) but usually that doesn't work. I have an 02 4.0L and I had this problem. It turned out BOTH the control module and motor were both bad. Not cheap. Was a 600.00 gig. Ford recommends monthly engagement of the 4X4 system regardless if required to keep the parts moving. Hope this helps. :beer: -Todd

4x4.Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
o i didnt even see that link in the tech library and i did what it said and i think its the module cause the red LED stays lit up but thanks for the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals