• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44E to A4LD

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Who said I need to abuse my transmission to drive good in the snow? I can downshift with a 5 speed and almost completely eliminate the sliding that happens with most automatics, and not even need to pump my brakes. And I know how to rev match, so theres virtually no clutch wear. Plus I can rock the truck back and forth if I ever get stuck (**** auto hubs-glad i ditched them) and while it may wear on the clutch, it won't do nearly the damage that does to an Auto. i've dissected a few Autos that were rocked back and forth, probably longer than healthy but still...clutch plates welded together, drums warped, bands shot.

And where else am I suppose to buy a transmission? theres only one junkyard in my area, and not all of us have the money to have one shipped to the shop/house. I don't replace automatics on my own vehicles anyways so I won't have to deal with this. I throw in a 5 speed once the Autos totally dead.
:icon_hornsup: I did the same thing, 2 crappy a4ld's blown, now m5od in its place and no more worries except a slave cylinder every once in a while :yahoo:

oh and the snow comment is very true, rain too, so much more control!!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
stop hatin' on the a4ld! lol

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I love my A4LD (and 5R55E). Almost 164k and still going strong.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Who said I need to abuse my transmission to drive good in the snow? I can downshift with a 5 speed and almost completely eliminate the sliding that happens with most automatics, and not even need to pump my brakes. And I know how to rev match, so theres virtually no clutch wear. Plus I can rock the truck back and forth if I ever get stuck (**** auto hubs-glad i ditched them) and while it may wear on the clutch, it won't do nearly the damage that does to an Auto. i've dissected a few Autos that were rocked back and forth, probably longer than healthy but still...clutch plates welded together, drums warped, bands shot.

And where else am I suppose to buy a transmission? theres only one junkyard in my area, and not all of us have the money to have one shipped to the shop/house. I don't replace automatics on my own vehicles anyways so I won't have to deal with this. I throw in a 5 speed once the Autos totally dead. I'm not hating on Autos, everyone has a preference. And when I'm backing a loaded trailer up a steep hill i'm extremely glad I have an auto.
You sound like a truck driver, haha.

I couldn't agree more on the hubs though, only time an auto hub is nice is when you need to drive around a bear on a trail. And I speak from experience on that one.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Manuals do work out a lot better in the snow, with 2wd at least! :)

I will replace an auto. No different than having to change a clutch, but you just install another unit and go on with life (if it works, which I have had good luck).

Swapped to a V8 in my 88 Ranger, A4LD worked fine with 120K on the odometer - the truck has been around since 52K. Actually the A4LD outlived my 2.9L. I rebuilt the 2.9L at 98K. But the A4LD on my brother's 3.0L just up and puked a bunch of trans fluid out of the front seal (no load), a lot higher mileage and I am sure it didn't get any maintenance, but I don't think that was the cause.

Plus I don't want it to turn into a big deal manual conversion, junk yard is where you get parts to swap. I'd rather just buy it as a manual to begin with. Couldn't imagine trying to swap a manual in my D/D fwd car, yuck. 3speed ATX, I have a spare one with 140K that worked great when pulled, and the one in the car right now has 186K, and works fine. Edit: The auto trans w/ 186K even out lived the engine, it had a junk yard engine when I bought the car. Then I had to replace that engine, but used the spare engine I had with 140K - so my d/d is at least on it's third engine. =/

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
see, i live in mississippi.. the most snow i see is like 3 inches all winter! and that freaks everyone out around here. people start buying out grocery stores when they know we're gonna have an inch of snow! its so funny. so driving in snow is not an issue i have to deal with. i use my auto to slow me down to, just pull from OD to D, and let the engine speed be a brake to degree.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
ok, you can NOT switch down to an a4ld the computer will throw the CEL for shift solenoids a,b,c,d and you will need to splice your wire harness and drill a hole in the fire wall for the kick down cable. but you could get a 4r55e and its stronger than your 4r44e.

a4lds use thrust washers and babit bushings, 4r44e,4r55e 5r44e,5r55e are full roller needle berring, with that being said the R series trans runs cooler and is more efficient.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ok, you can NOT switch down to an a4ld the computer will throw the CEL for shift solenoids a,b,c,d and you will need to splice your wire harness and drill a hole in the fire wall for the kick down cable. but you could get a 4r55e and its stronger than your 4r44e.

a4lds use thrust washers and babit bushings, 4r44e,4r55e 5r44e,5r55e are full roller needle berring, with that being said the R series trans runs cooler and is more efficient.
hey someone remembered the point of the thread! lol, this is good info tho, idk if its true, i'll just have to take his word :D but i could see why this is could be an issue

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic

I've thought about doing the 4r55e, but I'm clueless when it comes to trannys and didn't want to be in the same boat I'm in now. lol I think for now and for my abilities sake I'm just gonna hunt down a 4r44e that way it's plug and play.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
I've thought about doing the 4r55e, but I'm clueless when it comes to trannys and didn't want to be in the same boat I'm in now. lol I think for now and for my abilities sake I'm just gonna hunt down a 4r44e that way it's plug and play.

you can get any trans as long as its the same bell housing and an R series trans, and even then you could use your bell housing and put it on a 4r55e, its only 8x 17mm bolts and your good.

just helping you to keep your options open...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals