• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44E to a 4R55E

ScottyBoyBlue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I want to know if you can bolt a 4R55E transmission in place of the lighter 4R44E? I have 3.0 but would like to replace the light duty transmission with its bigger brother the 4R55E. My 4R44e is having problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd so I want to replace it but dont want to run in this problem later. (Owner before me pulled a boat)

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
My 4R44e is having problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd
I'm assuming you're talking about the 2-3 shift flare. It's a common problem on these transmissions. You don't have to rebuild it to fix it. Replacing the valve body gasket and EPC solenoid will usually fix the problem. Look at THIS LINK to read more about it.
EDIT: This problem may not affect the 4r44e, as it's a 4-speed trans, and this problem typically occurs only in the (basically identical) 5-speed units.

The 4r55e only came in 4.0 trucks. The 4.0 has a different bellhousing bolt pattern and won't bolt up to a 3.0. Explorerforum.com has tons of great info on these trannys. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
If you can match bellhousings it can be swaped, the only difference between the 44 and the 55 is that the 55 has more clutchs and slightly bigger drums to hold them, in other words the 55 is HD. The gear ratios are even the same.

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
Another difference is the 4r55e has different planetary than the 4r44e. They have a 6 gear planetary versus a 3 gear one I believe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals