• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L SOHC Coolant Temp

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
What is the correct coolant temperature for the 4.0L SOHC engine? I want to know what the original thermostat(s) temperature is/are.

Another quick question: Will the scan gauge II's temperature gauge tell the truth? If it is my temperature runs at 165-170 degrees which sounds cool to me.

Thanks in advance. :)

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most modern engines

What is the correct coolant temperature for the 4.0L SOHC engine? I want to know what the original thermostat(s) temperature is/are.

Another quick question: Will the scan gauge II's temperature gauge tell the truth? If it is my temperature runs at 165-170 degrees which sounds cool to me.

Thanks in advance. :)
Should run near 210* coolant temperature. This acomplished by using a 195* thermostat.
Since the heat output of an engine varies according to the amount of fuel being fed to it at any given moment, the temperature of the engine and coolant changes a few degrees from second to second..

Most vehicle manufactors supply a thermostat that is a couple of degrees away from the standard 195* available at all parts houses.. This is to SELL the OEM one! The OEM ones are no different from the aftermarket ones.. Only the printing on them is.

Sorry but I am totally in the dark about the scan tools temp reading and how/when it was taken.

Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I might just go and get a mechanical gauge to check the temperature. The dash gauge is in the normal, but is it. Could be the thermostat has been changed by a previous owner because I have not put one in. Thanks, now I know what the thermostat is supposed to be I'll know what temperature to look for. Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals