• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L Build-up.

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a 90TM-AB block with less than 100,000 Miles on it. I am starting to tear it down and want to rebuild it as a Bulletproof 4 Liter engine.

I wanted a 4 Liter block to rebuild so I could learn about its inards without tearing into my engine in my truck.

I paid $100 Bucks for the block, rotating assembly, heads, valve covers, oil pan, Water Pump and fan.

I just need some input on what kind of modifications to do during the rebuild.

I'm thinking about A cam, lifters, and hardening the pushrods so far, but I would like a little more idea before I go ahead.

Thanks,
Will, Commander In Chief-theRANGERmilitia

Last edited:

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
Finally Got some pictures

and found that I have a factory block heater!!!!

I opened the valve covers and found alot of Rust and Sludge.....
Thensthforth I deem this......Prodject SLUDGEBUCKET!

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whatever else you do make sure to pull all those freeze plugs and install some nice bronz ones..
Big JIm

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are and what you hope to accomplish at the end of the project.

I am guessing this is your first build? if so here is a link to a few suggestions that I made to another with the same ideas you have.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81613

Now as for what to put in, still depends on how far you are going to be going. I suggest replacing main bearings, rod bearings, rings. If you decide to go after market cam (410... you will probaly be told that you don't need to get longer pushrods, however, I will suggest you order your cam then lay it beside the old one and you can make the decision if you need to get custom ones made up or not) if you get an after market cam replace all the lifters. you will need a complete gasket set. I suggest you get your injectors cleaned, (no real need for new ones) however the guys at a injector shop will tell you if they are F'ed. more than likely the timing chain will be ok, however it is worth replacing if you are going that far, (why take any chances) on the tech page for the 4.0L there is a parts number for a beefier rear back seal. (worth looking into)

there are many rebuild threads on this site, use the search section.

happy building.

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
Well I know It needs PushRods Cause they are SHOT. I may have gotten my self in way over my head but In the first place I just wanted to see How A 4.0L Looked on the inside and how it works. It's a Learning project!

My Pockets a dry making 60 bucks a week (Still in high school), so I figure I'm just going to clean it as much as I can and throw a little at it at a time. I work at a parts store so I will save ALOT...

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Supersixmotorsports.com

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Explain please

Well I know It needs PushRods Cause they are SHOT. I may have gotten my self in way over my head but In the first place I just wanted to see How A 4.0L Looked on the inside and how it works. It's a Learning project!

My Pockets a dry making 60 bucks a week (Still in high school), so I figure I'm just going to clean it as much as I can and throw a little at it at a time. I work at a parts store so I will save ALOT...
Tell us how you have found the pushrods to be shot. Are they bent? what is incorrect with them. They are in a low milage engine so they should be low milage and hardly worn if at all.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
+1 Jim. As long as the push rods are true 100,000 is nothing. That will save $$$ right there. Rods, mains, timing, oil pump and screen. Be sure to inspect the crank unless you know how the engine was driven & serviced. It may be 100,000 miles but they may have been rough miles. It it was mine and the crank was good I would at least have a polish job done.

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
The tops of the push rods are Chaffed really bad, and the heads have alot of sludge and rust.

+1 supersixmotorsports.com

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What about the rockers and rockerballs? Chaffed pushrods indicate lack of oil to me... The rockers should also tell the same story..
Big JIm

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
The top Rockerball on the pushrods look like they weren't spinning in the rockers, The lower Valveball was in mint condition, Pics tonight

jmeineck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Pull one of the Main caps or rod caps and see what the bearings look like. If the push rod ends are tore up it is possible the engine lost oil pressure at some point and was still running.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That left side head sure looks like it has had a steam bath, don't it? The appearance of that head is bothersome. I think I'd be for pulling most of that engine apart and seeing what else there was hidden in there. Even the valve cover looks strange.
Big JIm

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
Oh sorry about that, We tried to wash the valve covers out.
And my idiot friend decided to run the push rods through the wire wheel....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals