• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

31 spline 8.8 identification.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The only 31 spline Ranger axles came out of FX4 trucks. So an Edge 2wd will not have one... simple as that. The junkyard guy is not telling you accurate information.

What you want does not exist as a factory Ford part. The chances that you will find it in the junkyard are very close to zero. If you want 4.56 gears you will have to buy an axle and have them installed.

Not quite sure what you are after as far as lockers go... A Torsen is a limited slip, not a locker. Aussie, Lock-rite, Detroit, ARB, Ox, Zip, E-Locker, Spartan... those are lockers. Your G80 technically is too but they have a well earned reputation for being called "grenade locker" because of how they engage.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The only 31 spline Ranger axles came out of FX4 trucks. So an Edge 2wd will not have one... simple as that. The junkyard guy is not telling you accurate information.

What you want does not exist as a factory Ford part. The chances that you will find it in the junkyard are very close to zero. If you want 4.56 gears you will have to buy an axle and have them installed.

Not quite sure what you are after as far as lockers go... A Torsen is a limited slip, not a locker. Aussie, Lock-rite, Detroit, ARB, Ox, Zip, E-Locker, Spartan... those are lockers. Your G80 technically is too but they have a well earned reputation for being called "grenade locker" because of how they engage.
At first I did not realize how rare the Fx4 level2 4.56 axles are, and definitely wasted some time searching for one.
I have since changed my search criteria to any old ranger axle with 4.10s and 31splines, open carrier is fine I’ll spring for a decent locker/posi. What your saying is that ANY FX4 truck had 31splines? Not just level 2s?

If that’s the case then yes obviously the dude is lying to me. I fairly well expected that, his response was way too fast.

I also do understand that a Torsen unit is a posi/LSD, not a full locker. I think if I put a truetrac in the 8.8 I’ll be fairly happy there’s no rocks in Florida. I’m also well aware the G80 is known to blow up, I have nuked several in weaker gm8.6 10bolt axles. However, I can attest that the G80 in my 9.5”sf has held up exceptionally well, it receives many 450hp clutch dumps with 33”s, just doesn’t always like to lock on sideways slides. It’s on road daily driving manors are excellent, I’m just not sure if another lunch box locker would be as forgiving in tight parking lots and wet roads.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If the truck is a 2002 "FX4", then yes, it will have the 31-spl 8.8" Torsen axle you are after.
If the truck is 2003+ (FX4), it then also needs to be a "Level II" to have the same axle.
(2003+ non-Level II trucks got the regular 28-spl diff).

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If the truck is a 2002 "FX4", then yes, it will have the 31-spl 8.8" Torsen axle you are after.
If the truck is 2003+ (FX4), it then also needs to be a "Level II" to have the same axle.
(2003+ non-Level II trucks got the regular 28-spl diff).
Awesome, Thank you for clarifying!

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Easiest way to check without opening and counting

A 31 spline axle has a axle tube diameter of 3.25"

A 28 spline axle has a axle tube diameter of 2.8"
except the 2010/2011, they're 3.25 but out only have 28 spline. but they also have disc brakes

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
A 31 spline axle has a axle tube diameter of 3.25"
And that diameter necks down to the smaller diameter right behind the brake backing plates.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I’ll have to keep an eye out for one, I’ve used just about every type of posi/locker in the past except a good quality auto locker. I have a factory G80 in my stick shift Tahoe. It’s in a semi floating 14bolt and it does well in straight line traction scenarios such as pulling a trailer up a wet grassy hill, or through thick sand. It sucks at locking up when trying to do donuts, burnouts, or slides tho. I think it’s just about worn out, but it’s somewhat given me a bad taste to the unpredictability of auto lockers.

This project will be over several months so maybe I can catch a grizzly on Black Friday!
The G80 is not an auto locker or even a locker at all. The G80 uses governors to engage a set of clutch packs when the difference it wheel speed reaches a certain point. True auto lockers don't have clutches and stay locked all the time until you go around a corner then the outside tire uncouples and spins faster than the inside tire.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
And that diameter necks down to the smaller diameter right behind the brake backing plates.
That neck down is pretty easy to see if the sellers post pics of the dang axle, which I’ve found most scrap yards unfortunately don’t.

The G80 is not an auto locker or even a locker at all. The G80 uses governors to engage a set of clutch packs when the difference it wheel speed reaches a certain point. True auto lockers don't have clutches and stay locked all the time until you go around a corner then the outside tire uncouples and spins faster than the inside tire.
I guess I never realized it had clutch packs, that would explain why it’s so streetable, but also why mines less willing to lock as I’ve abused it so much. Clutches are probably trashed, which is another reason why I want to stay away from a clutch style unit in the future. I had a Yukon duragrip for a few years in a street truck and it did great the first year or two. After that it acted like an open diff and needed the clutches rebuilt.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

to clarify things, the 2010/2011 8.8 axles use the bigger 1.6" wheel bearings so the outer tubes are noticeably bigger than a 1.4" bearing housing.
also 28 splines with a 3/4 pin, and NO provision for the tone ring sensor.

Basilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I recently bought a 2004 FX4 level 2, 31-spline 8.8 rear axle with a Torsen from a salvage yard, but it's 4.10 (not 4.56). The axle tube diameter is 3.25" (vs 2.75" on the 28 spline) and the bolts on the rear drum brake backing plates are in a square shape (vs trapezoidal shape on the 28 spline). There are also three holes on the front 'snout' of the 31-spline Torsen axle, and I don't believe the 28-spline axle has those holes. Here are some pictures of the 31-spline Torsen axle if it helps, and a link for the correct size wheel bearings and seals if you want to replace them.
Yukon Gear AK 1559 Axle Bearing & Seal Kit

Attachments

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Seems odd that they would have put the Explorer pumpkin with the holes for the horizontal damper on there (or was it a weight damper? I've seen both I think...)

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I bought 2004 FX4 level 2, 31-spline 8.8 rear axle with a Torsen from a salvage yard, but it's 4.10 (not 4.56). The axle tube diameter is 3.25" and the bolts on the rear drum brake backing plates are in a square shape (not trapezoidal like on the 28 spline axles). There are also three holes on the front 'snout' of the 31-spline Torsen axle, and I don't believe the 28-spline axle has those holes. Here are some pictures of the 31-spline Torsen axle if it helps, and a link for the correct size wheel bearings and seals if you want to replace them.
Yukon Gear AK 1559 Axle Bearing & Seal Kit
Did you find it in person or scour the web looking?

Basilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I found it on car-part.com and then contacted the salvage yard to get more info before driving there.

Last edited:

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I found it on car-part.com and then contacted the salvage yard to get more info before driving there.
I love that site. Funny enough a new one just popped up in GA, FX4 Level2, 4.10, torsen locker with only 89k miles on the dash. I called the super sweet southern sounding lady and she verified everything I asked about it with pics.

$546 Shipped, I could have saved $150 core charge if it was closer but oh well it’s right in the price range I wanted to pay.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals