• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

31 bfg T/A ?

8302ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello I have a 1991 Ranger 4x4 with the 2.3 and a 5 speed transmission. My question is, if you were me would you go with 31 bfg's or would you stick with a smaller tire ??? The only thing that would stop me is the fact that its a 2.3 and Im just not sure the engine has enough power to comfortable turn those tires at 60mph. I drive 60 miles per day but still want my truck to look good.

- I also have a levelling kit installed.

Please, is their anyone with a similar set up that could inform me on such issues ??

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The only way I would go with 31s with your truck is if you regeared

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
still go with a BFG though, maybe the 30c9.5

8302ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so....

Thanks for the tips, but now I have another question. Which gears does my truck come with stock and what gears would you switch to ? I do my own vehicle maintained but am a mechanic by no means!

If this question can be answer in the Tech library please inform.

Thanks.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
Without even looking I would bet it had 4.10 gears. You dont have a lot of power, so if youre going to be turning those larger than stock tires, use the revs. Do you drive mostly city(rural) or highway?

If your going no larger than 31's, I would suggest 4.56 or 4.88 gears for your rig. Dont forget you have to regear both front AND rear to the same ratio if you want your 4x4 to work without grenading your t-case and who knows what else.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
31's aren't too much of a problem with the stock 4.10 gears and a 2.3, you just can't use 5th gear at 55, works fine at 60+ though. 4.56 would be better though.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello I have a 1991 Ranger 4x4 with the 2.3 and a 5 speed transmission. My question is, if you were me would you go with 31 bfg's or would you stick with a smaller tire ??? The only thing that would stop me is the fact that its a 2.3 and Im just not sure the engine has enough power to comfortable turn those tires at 60mph. I drive 60 miles per day but still want my truck to look good.

- I also have a levelling kit installed.

Please, is their anyone with a similar set up that could inform me on such issues ??

Since this is your daily driver, I would go with the smallest tire that would get you where you need to go but think over spending that kind of coin on a 20 year old Ranger. If it were a project vehicle or something that you won't use much, sure do it....but change the rear gearing.
The huge tires will kill fuel economy and streetability, but look impressive even on a super short wheelbase regular cab.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I got 19mpg with my stock '90 4x4 ranger on 31" BFG AT tires, stock 4.10 gears with a bad alignment and a heavy foot... 19.5 if I was nice to it... before I converted to 4x4 I had 3.73 gears and 235 70 15 tires (28") and got 23mpg. it's not the worst combo you could have...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I ran 235/75/15 tires on my Ranger ever since the stock 225/75/15s wore out. And the stock BIIs I've had I ran the same tire size - 235/75/15. It's not too honking big of a tire that you really screw up your power without changing gears (most of the time anyway - all the trucks I ran that size on had 3.73 gears and a 6 cyl), and they filled the wheel wells nicely. FYI, most 30x9.50x15 tires are just rebadged 235/75/15 tires.

Plus 235/75/15 tires was the stock tire size for F-150s for years, so they tend to be plentiful and cheap.

IMHO, I wouldn't buy BFG tires though. Yes, I have a set. No, I do not like them all that much. I've run a number of better performing tires. With working construction and having to get off the road on muddy jobsites and with having to drive long distances at times, I wanted something that would wear well and not instantly turn into a giant chocolate doughnut under muddy conditions - so after a bad experience with BFG AT tires turning into doughnuts on me, and the stock set of tires on my Ranger doing the same, I started looking for something better. I look for the knobbiest AT tire I can find in the size I'm looking for when I buy tires. I don't want a mud terrain tire because they tend to wear faster and most suck for wet grip on pavement with an empty bed and no 4x4. So I get the baddest AT tire I can find and so far they've done me good.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When I was doing my tire shopping i looked at BFG AT but a lot of the reviews werent that great. Ended up going with Firestone Destination AT and love them.

8302ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Toyo

Thanks to all for the good info. I think I shall take the advice of most and go with a 235. I was looking at Toyo's A/t tire, it looks kind of sporty compared to the BFG. Anyone running these ?

Thanks again,
Rob.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks to all for the good info. I think I shall take the advice of most and go with a 235. I was looking at Toyo's A/t tire, it looks kind of sporty compared to the BFG. Anyone running these ?

Thanks again,
Rob.
Haven't run Toyos yet, but they don't look to be too bad of a tire. I've run Remington XT, Sport King AT, and working my way through a pair of Nexen Roadian ATII tires now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals