• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap estimate

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
LOL nice hopfully the project dosnt take that long but if so o well its fun to have somthing to keep me bussy theres not awhole lot to do here in north dakota anyways haha

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mine started out as a simple swap.........then totall caos took over.
i dont have a shop big enough to put the truck in so i have to work outside and it isnt a great time of year for that.i was really busy this summer so i didnt get alot done.

did get the motor cranked thou but iam swapping out the carbs and need to rebuild one of the new ones.

alot of my stuff i got from buying wrecks and parting them out,my 8.8 and skyjacker 4" lift springs came from a 93 or 94 ranger wreck,bought it for $400 bucks parted it out minus what i wanted got my money back plus a little.
a merc grand mark was givin to me,used it for the oil pan and 302 core..hell i gave parts away off that car lol.sold the body and trans to some demo derby guys for $75.

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
holy that thing is nice.. is that a duel 4 brl ? i bet that thing puts out some major horseys

dose that have the 302 in it or bigger?

ya thats kinda who this idea got started.. wanted to do a simple sawp for the bigger nicer engine i figerd the 2.8 i got now has about a 162 thousand miles on it and its time for somthing newer and better

iv allways wanted to rebuild some kinda motor so i thought id mold the two goals into one you know but now that im reading around and noticing what has to be done...

axels transfercases , custom shafts and so forth and so on so ya im not all as sure as i was before haha

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
lol...2 600 holleys on a tunnel ram,ya its a 302 and yes its major overkill but hey...thats just me..lol.
dont dump your idea ......just get all the info you can and make a plan and a budget.almost all the info you need is here and alot of people that will help you out with parts and advice and you can do this for a reasonable amount of money if you take time and use your head.the KEY word is information and you got it here.
alot of people on here are going to give you quality info but you still gotta figure it out for yourself.they have been there done that...iam still there doing that.....lol so they are way ahead of me iam just lucky enough to have them around to help when i get in a jam

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
gosh you ever get a approximate horse power of what that engine can put out ?

ya im slowly taking some notes and writing things down my first plan of attack is get a hold of a engine and start from there rebuilding it and such

thanks alot you guys are alota help :)

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
5000 to 6000 rpm and a little above it should be in the 400+ range.i live near the river in the south......alot of mud flats and a couple of old ponds we play in.
i have to find some dana 60 axles to put under it before i can really ring it out.i figure with the 8.8 rear and the small 28 up front ill have to baby it till the motors broke in good.

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ya for sure that be terrible to wreck that thing or snap some axels

ya up here i dont kno much areas for that other then random feilds and some heres and there i just wait for the snow to come thats the best

how many miles you got on it so far?

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thats what i was telling you...no miles several hours run time...even after this long i still havent driven it, its not finished iam swapping carbs itll take both 600's but iam going down to 2 390 cfm holleys its still after all this time........work in progress.
went from a 8 gallon fuel cell i picked up for 5 bucks to a 16 gallon i picked up on ebay for $35 deliverd to my door...by the way it went thru 8 gallons of 93 octane in a very short time just running the motor in the yard very quickly.that was just to set the carbs, timing and to try to seat the rings.
my point is i got what i could at first to get me going and shopped to get what i needed.it only took 8 months between the 2....but i found a killer deal on what i needed

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
holy that nuts

ya i had a buddie that was gunna sell me a 302 outa his old work truck he said there wasnt anything wrong with it but when he tore down to make sure one cylnder was completly blown apart

so im still lookin around for a dirt cheep 302 .. you got an suggestions for that ? is there certin type i should keep my eye open for

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
do you wanna go carbed or injection...........flat out mud run what ya brung.gimme carbs.....crawling around in the woods daily driver.....injection.
older blocks are going to be better suited for carbs.........newer for injection and roller set ups.
this is just my take on this so its not the gospel.........lol.other people will have diifernt opinions.

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The pre 69 blocks were the strongest due to the highest nickel content and thicker main webbings. 70-74 were strong too but not as strong as the pre 69. all these were non-roller which means you can use a hydralic roller cam. in 86 the came out with the roller blocks i think. You can roller blocks in grand marquies, crown vics, explorers, alot of things at the junk yard... so that might be the cheapest route. So far into my swap I spent, 100 on motor mounts, and the price of my motor but you werent including that, fuel cell which was 150, headers which were 150, I traded a shot 351c for my tranny, got my truck for 200 bucks, spent 200 on my shifter, spent 440 on my stall converter, spent 125 for the rebuild/shift kit for my tranny, and got my oil relocator for free, and my radiator for free. so about $1400 all together and i still need tires and a rear which im going to the junk yard tomorrow to fetch. The junkyard near me charges $35 bucks a rear

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
do you wanna go carbed or injection...........flat out mud run what ya brung.gimme carbs.....crawling around in the woods daily driver.....injection.
older blocks are going to be better suited for carbs.........newer for injection and roller set ups.
this is just my take on this so its not the gospel.........lol.other people will have diifernt opinions.

I think carbd will be fine for me.. less hassle with computer junk and what nots and iv allways bin a fan of carburetor :)

pre 69 blocks sound good to me also the stronger the better eh just gota get to the junk yard see what they can shoot me for a price..

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
great info holeshot!i went with a 73 (had to look it up,i've got a folder with all the #'s of every part i've used and its a mess..lol)
i would print off every bit of info like the year #'s he just gave you itll help with your shopping list..........thats what i did.
if you decide to do this.....a basic list of stuff you need works great....find mounts,headers,filter relocation kit etc.dont wait till you need it to start looikng for it.i had a nice pile of parts before i started.you'll be amazed at what you can find when you dont need it yet.

BroncoBrother84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
GREAT !! i allready got some things thrown down on paper that iv bin takn "notes" on i guess hahaa

thanks !

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals