• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 rad/cooling pics/ideas

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why dont you guys just use the stock v8 explorer radiator? It fits perfect even with the clutch fan and shroud
Because not everybody has one of them fancy newer trucks. With a 3” body lift just the shroud goes from the top of my rad support to the bottom of the frame.

We are a northern dealer at work so that is what I am gravitating to...

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Do
Ordered the rad today, will pick it up Friday after work. The northern one. NOR205138

$350 Can. after taxes. ouch

will post up pics after it is all installed. thanks for the help guys
I think that 16" rad will be to big for the northern radiator.it LL over hang on it.which won't give u any Xtra cooling

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Why dont you guys just use the stock v8 explorer radiator? It fits perfect even with the clutch fan and shroud

not in a gen 1.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Duff V8 swap radiator... looking through this thread it appears VERY similar to that Northern brand one. I don't think Duff made them and I seem to recall that it came in a box from another company, either Ron Davis or Big End, I can't remember which. Works well enough I guess although it's started leaking.

Pics or it didn't happen :p
It's been done hundreds of times.. I just took mine apart for mock up..but I'll be putting it together very soon.. I make sure to snap pics

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Ohhh.. ok. Gotcha. I know in 98+ they fit like factory, literally.
True...but there are differentials...

remember the explorer core-supports have more flow area. It seems slight but it is the minimum for the 5.0. so. Opening up the ranger core support is always a wise decision.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Ohhh.. ok. Gotcha. I know in 98+ they fit like factory, literally.
I wish us 1st/2nd gen guys had that option. Before the aftermarket V8 swap radiators existed, some guys were using 4.0/auto radiators tucked inside the core support.

84tony

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I am going to try this one in my 84 for my new 5.0. It's a 2 ROW Aluminum Racing Radiator For 91-94 FORD EXPLORER/RANGER 3.0L/4.0L V6 AUTO. Bought it off flee bay. I will have to make some lower brackets to make it fit my 84. I used a 2 row stock brass radiator for a 2.8 with my first 5.0 with a pusher fan, but it wouldn't keep it cool in stop and go traffic.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I have a Duff V8 swap radiator... looking through this thread it appears VERY similar to that Northern brand one. I don't think Duff made them and I seem to recall that it came in a box from another company, either Ron Davis or Big End, I can't remember which. Works well enough I guess although it's started leaking.

I know this is an old thread but what the heckheh shran u say that u used duff's v8 radiator correct?do u recall what size the upper bad lower radiator hose tubes are?I also see that they sell upper and lower radiator hoses for that application as well.do u know if it fits there radiator pretty well?I ask because I m having a hard time finding a upper radiator hose that will work my assessory setup.my donor is a 1995 mustang gt.and in that car the alternator sits real high up so I need a hose that has a few 90 degree bends for it to fit.im using a superior radiator I got from eBay.pretty much same setup as the northern radiator.any input would be great.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I know this is an old thread but what the heckheh shran u say that u used duff's v8 radiator correct?do u recall what size the upper bad lower radiator hose tubes are?I also see that they sell upper and lower radiator hoses for that application as well.do u know if it fits there radiator pretty well?I ask because I m having a hard time finding a upper radiator hose that will work my assessory setup.my donor is a 1995 mustang gt.and in that car the alternator sits real high up so I need a hose that has a few 90 degree bends for it to fit.im using a superior radiator I got from eBay.pretty much same setup as the northern radiator.any input would be great.
My advice: hit up the junkyard and grab as many upper radiator hoses as you can that you think might work for you. Then prepare yourself to cut and splice two together to get what you want. I used aluminum tubing from the local welding supply shop inside the splices. They gave me some small/short pieces for free. I then used a pair of Harbor Freight handheld crimpers and modified the jaws to make a set of bead crimpers out of them. Crimped beads on the ends of the aluminum tubing to get a better seal, and sanded the beads smooth.

I tried every hose known to man on my build that used a 92 Thunderbird engine (same as SN95) and nothing would fit quite right. I hated to splice stuff together but it's what I had to do in the end. I hit up junkyards, and 4 or 5 parts stores let me go in the back room to look through the radiator hose section to see if I could find an off-the-shelf solution, but nothing was quite right. I even looked in to having a custom hose made using silicone but just having one or any number under 100 of them made was stupid expensive.

Even after splicing I still had to use rubber hose "reducers" on the radiator end because the aluminum tube welded on to the radiator was too small for the hose.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I knew I had to use reducers but didn't know I had to do such a search.now I know why people say explorer serpentine setup works so good because how low the alternator sits.thats for the info and welcome back.haven t heard from u in a while.your the person I really wanted to respond since u have same radiator I have.do u remember what hoses you ended up cutting up to work?I have an explorer 5.0 hose I could make work but will have to cut it in the middle and take about 3" out of it to narrow it down.5.0 swaps on rangers r such a bitch let me tell ya.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Pretty sure I used part of an '89 Crown Vic upper hose and I have a flex hose on the bottom. No adapters or splitters required, I just had to cut off part of the upper because it was way too long.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
What size hose was it to u remember?1.5" I'm assuming?. my upper on radiator is 11/4.going to have use reducers of some sort to make work.thanx for Info

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Oh boy... I have no idea off hand. It's been in there for almost 10 years now, my memory is a little foggy. I just remember using part of the hose I had from the donor car and it worked so I bought a new one and cut it to work. The lower was easy, just found a flex hose at O'reilly that fit both the water pump and lower radiator outlet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals