• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3/4 ton ford dana 44 front brake rotors

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i need to replace the wheel bearings in my truck baaaad, but i have come into a problem. the hub is worn out to the point that the wheel bearing race spins in the hub....sooooo....i need new hubs, and as they are bolted to the rotorsa which have seen better days...i really need to replace the set as a whole. i am going to do some junkyard searching for some that have rotors still turnable...but its going to take forever. this truck is my baby, and i really think i need to bite the bullet and invest in something new.

anyone have suggestions of brands or places to find some new OEM or upgraded units? it would be cool to find some vented rotors. i have herd rummors that some chevy dana 44 rotors fit and are slightly larger? never have founf proof on that...

anywho, any help would be great! on the search through yards i go...

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i need to replace the wheel bearings in my truck baaaad, but i have come into a problem. the hub is worn out to the point that the wheel bearing race spins in the hub....sooooo....i need new hubs, and as they are bolted to the rotorsa which have seen better days...i really need to replace the set as a whole. i am going to do some junkyard searching for some that have rotors still turnable...but its going to take forever. this truck is my baby, and i really think i need to bite the bullet and invest in something new.

anyone have suggestions of brands or places to find some new OEM or upgraded units? it would be cool to find some vented rotors. i have herd rummors that some chevy dana 44 rotors fit and are slightly larger? never have founf proof on that...

anywho, any help would be great! on the search through yards i go...
Here is some great dana44 info.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_3.htm

I thought pirate had a 44 bible, but its only a dana60 bible...

Edit: you can take a center punch and put 5-8 divits in the race area, it will hold the race for a while, its a temp fix, but it will work!

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why put JY rotors on your truck? The brakes should be the most important safety aspect of your truck. Don't skip on them. You say that it is your daily driver? Keep yourself and the other people who you share the road with safe and put new brakes on your truck. Make it your SAFE daily driver.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why put JY rotors on your truck? The brakes should be the most important safety aspect of your truck. Don't skip on them. You say that it is your daily driver? Keep yourself and the other people who you share the road with safe and put new brakes on your truck. Make it your SAFE daily driver.
Read the whole post, he is asking for brand recommendations for new ones.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i am going to do some junkyard searching for some that have rotors still turnable.
I did read it and this is what I seen. Then I reread it again and made it out to the rotor still being able to turn on the spindle. I think that is what I read?

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did read it and this is what I seen. Then I reread it again and made it out to the rotor still being able to turn on the spindle. I think that is what I read?
if you inspect a rotor at the proper points for corrosion, mic for thinkness, and spin for a balance and warp test and they come out positive, there is nothing wrong with reusing brake rotor's. people have been doing it for years, myself included.

yes i did go out searching the yards, and i came up with nothing that passed my standards.

and yes, i am looking for brand suggestions, i'm sorry but i feel my opening post is pretty straight forword...

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is some great dana44 info.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_3.htm

I thought pirate had a 44 bible, but its only a dana60 bible...

Edit: you can take a center punch and put 5-8 divits in the race area, it will hold the race for a while, its a temp fix, but it will work!
thanks for the link! i will check it out right now.

i <3 the dana 60 bible, has helped me a lot with my rear end problems in the past.

i have used the center punch trick on the hub set i have now, they are 100% junk at this point. they held for the last 5 years though without a problem! this last winter was the first real hard off road abuse the truck has seen for a long time, and the bearing finally went. thanks for the help though!

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
If u go to bronco graveyard they have new hubs/rotors at a pretty decent price.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if you inspect a rotor at the proper points for corrosion, mic for thinkness, and spin for a balance and warp test and they come out positive, there is nothing wrong with reusing brake rotor's. people have been doing it for years, myself included.

yes i did go out searching the yards, and i came up with nothing that passed my standards.

and yes, i am looking for brand suggestions, i'm sorry but i feel my opening post is pretty straight forword...
I think I know how to inspect and measure rotors for correct specs. Been doing for over 20 years now. I have a problem using someone else's junk even if they mic out fine. If it's at the JY then it is junk to me period. Like I said I don't go the cheap way on brake even though they may appear and measure out correctly. IMHO the brakes on any vehicle are the most important part and should not be replaced with any used part from any other vehicle. Besides...will the JY back you if their product that they sold you failed?

Last edited:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^^^
That's how I look at it too. Some things I am willing to get at a jy, rotors, and almost anything electronic I'm not willing to take the risk. Your life depends on those rotors, are you willing to rely on some rotors that may have issues.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I know how to inspect and measure rotors for correct specs. Been doing for over 20 years now. I have a problem using someone else's junk even if they mic out fine. If it's at the JY then it is junk to me period. Like I said I don't go the cheap way on brake even though they may appear and measure out correctly. IMHO the brakes on any vehicle are the most important part and should not be replaced with any used part from any other vehicle. Besides...will the JY back you if their product that they sold you failed?
i'm not trying to sit here and argue with you over this, nor am i stating you are incorrect in what you're saying.

just because someone doe's something different from the way you do thing's doesn't make it wrong. i'm not here for you're opinion on jy find's.

did you have some helpful links then? or no?

not trying to be rude, this sidetracking just seems to happen on every thread on this damn site and its getting old fast. everyone please stay on topic!

thank you for the advice from everyone so far

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If u go to bronco graveyard they have new hubs/rotors at a pretty decent price.
dude, thank you for the link! this site has exactly what i am looking for for over half the cost i have seen so far! napa wanted damn near 350 a rotor/hub assembly!

you sir, deserve a cookie:icon_thumby:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i'm not trying to sit here and argue with you over this, nor am i stating you are incorrect in what you're saying.

just because someone doe's something different from the way you do thing's doesn't make it wrong. i'm not here for you're opinion on jy find's.

did you have some helpful links then? or no?

not trying to be rude, this sidetracking just seems to happen on every thread on this damn site and its getting old fast. everyone please stay on topic!

thank you for the advice from everyone so far
I was just merely saying that JY parts are just that.....JUNK. No opinion from me just a fact.

How can I side track when I said in my second post that I read the first one wrong???????

It's your truck do what you want with it. Just don't drive it behind me.

Good luck!

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So if i put new rotors/pads on my car, a few days later the truck gets totaled.

Now my rotors are junk too???
Odd way of thinking, not saying your way is wrong!

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So if i put new rotors/pads on my car, a few days later the truck gets totaled.

Now my rotors are junk too???
Odd way of thinking, not saying your way is wrong!
I know what you are saying but....even though they are new when the truck was totalled. How long have they been sitting in that yard? Guess it's just me and the way I am. I would rather have a warranty and a company to stand behind the parts they sell instead of getting it second hand with no warranty at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals