• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 l duratec

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking of taking my 3.0 vulcan out and swapping for a 3.0 l duratec, At first I thought how could this swap possibly help me much but a friend kept trying to explain about this engine. so... after long hours of extensive research I have found that it would be an excellent swap and just what I need. 240 hp and 233 lb-ft from this engine in the new escapes stock :shok: which is extremly shocking to me because that is 33 more hp then the sohc 4.0 in the fx4. which is 207 hp and roughly 237-238 lb-ft. which obviously the sohc has 4 more lb-ft but with only a little 3.0 I think this is extremely impressive numbers don't you think? Also the fusion, Milan, and Lincoln Zephyr comes with a duratec 30 engine but with variable valve timing with 221 hp and 205 lb-ft which is still impressive. From my research the my vulcans 5 speed transmission will bolt to these engines, I have a lot more research to do as I am wondering how difficult the wiring, fuel delivery, modifications, etc will be and if too much hassle for my time I guess it isn't worth it :icon_rofl: But I was wondering has anyone else noticed these numbers and even thought of this swap or done it or even tried?? If so what are some modifications to be made? And if not What do some of you guys think about the idea of swapping the 4 valve per cylinder dohc available to be twin turbo charged (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_M400) with 425 bhp and 390 ft-lbf ? :yahoo: :headbang: I say we need to get to work and put this to use lol

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
that would be mpressive to see you pull that off, but i think a COMPLETE donor car would be in order because the new electronics are far mor advanced for the newer duratechs than they were for the vulcans

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I agree, would be an AWESOME swap if you could get a complete donor for it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Do it!

Find a car that was hit in the back and buy it up.

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys for the support!!! :headbang: I just thought its a super cool idea, from my research this option was available in a late 90s taurus as well so I will have to go to the junk yard and check for donor cars. Also Hopefully I can come across something a lot newer, its just by the time you buy everything to do it, I might as well do another swap but if I get lucky with a donor car for sure I am doing it, be pretty funny to pull up beside a ricer and have 3.0 emplems on my fenders and tell him I have a really bad vacum leak :icon_rofl::icon_hornsup:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, the 24V 3.0 was available from about 98 up in the tortoise.

If you go for something around 99 or 2000 I really don't think it will be that much worse than a 2.9 to 4.0 or 5.0/5.8 swap.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i had the same idea about swappintg my lima 2.5 for a duratec 25 lol

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
the idea u have is pretty good man. my grandma has a 04 tribute with the 3.0 duratec and that thing has balls lol

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
among other thing you need to research is p.a.t.s. you need to make custom headers, probably custom mounts.

on the plus side you can make a hybrid duratec with a escape heads and 3.0 block it is what the svt contour owners do

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
among other thing you need to research is p.a.t.s. you need to make custom headers, probably custom mounts.

on the plus side you can make a hybrid duratec with a escape heads and 3.0 block it is what the svt contour owners do
true p.a.t.s. gets more and more annoying and I will have to look into that idea, thanks for the info :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals