• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd to 4wd 2010 ranger with e transfer case.

RangerOutWest

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a transfer case from a 98 ranger want to install it to my 2010 ranger 2.3l manual. For the transfer case what wires do I need to run to make it work?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tell us a little more about your truck:

Do you have the front axle installed?
Making an e-transfer case work in a 2010 is almost impossible for the average individual - and a significant challenge for the experts.​

RangerOutWest

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Tell us a little more about your truck:

Do you have the front axle installed?
Making an e-transfer case work in a 2010 is almost impossible for the average individual - and a significant challenge for the experts.​
I have a dana 30 from a 98 Cherokee not installed yet was trying to figure if it was possible with the e transfer first or if it would just be more worth buying a manual t case. I got the e t case for free

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK, you're going SAS, so I'll leave the axle part alone.

I assume you know there was no 2.3 4x4 made, so you are going to have to mix your exist transmission with a 4x4 out of 4.0 truck (or older 3.0 4x4).

The GEMS - Generic Electronic Module - behind the vents in center of dash controls the e-transfer case. It also controls everything from air bags to brakes to intermittent wipers. So, you need a GEMS from same year as your truck from a 4x4 and you probably need all the electronic modules
I pulled the dash from a truck of same vintage with all the modules/options I wanted still attached and swapped dashes (it's not as bad as it sounds, but you do want a couple friends to lift into place while initial bolts are reinstalled). I also took the Engine Control Module.​

RangerOutWest

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay ill look more into the manual t case first then. Thank you for the info.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
you still need to replace significant internal transmission parts to mate to any transfer case.

RangerOutWest

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I'm aware that still has to happen but I cam avoid the electronic portion more so

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can use 2007 to 2011 4x4CM(control module) with dash switch(2 wire) and 7 wire harness for electric shift
It is a separate unit no connection to other systems in the vehicle, well that are important, need a brake and Neutral/speed switch for shifting to/and out of 4low

But a Manual shift transfer case would be way way easier and better(more reliable)
And "Twin stick" just LOOKS COOL: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/shifters-jpg.55175/

BW1354m is the manual transfer case, BW1354e is the electric shift, "m's" are hard to find and the shifter is even harder to find complete
"e" to "m" conversion is not possible, unless you had a "m" to start with, lol

For the M5OD-R1 conversion you just need the shorter tail shaft and 4WD tail shaft housing for the transfer case, AND get a tail shaft housing that has the bosses(bolt holes) for manual shifter
Seen here, they are not always threaded: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nckAAMXQ71xRYtFE/s-l500.jpg

You can use "shift on the fly" between 2WD and 4high AS LONG as front hubs are already LOCKED at the time, thats for manual or electric shift

And not a big deal but 2007 speedo will be wrong in 4low, need new computer to fix that, and new instrument cluster as well, they are a Matched pair

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
To use a manual transfer case you would have to get the rear transmission housing from a mid '90's M5OD transmission though, at some point around '98 I think they removed the boss for the shifter bolts, some people have worked around that but it looked like a pain in the rear... the boss is easy to identify, if there's threads to nowhere about 1" diameter on the drivers side that's it...

The 1354M T case is great, it's what I run, it's a reliable unit...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals