• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2021 Ford Ranger FX4 TRS-3 Project Build

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
I have some friends running toyota steelies on their ranger for offroading. The Toyota center bore is bigger. Like 106 or something. But Stage 3 is who I think they said makes a center bore spacer for them to fit right. That being said I thing the Chevy center bore is smaller like 87 I believe. Don't quote me on that just what I've been told.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
I'm looking to add 285/70/17's after I give it a 3.5-inch lift. I'm not going to like how the truck is going to look with the lift and tires because I think the wheels need to be spaced out about 1.5-inches to improve its stance and appearance. I could use wheel spacers until I come up with new wheels. I don't like how the face of the wheel is so even with the sidewall of the tire. This is why I scratched the wheels so easily on the Loan Ranger. I'm thinking that a new set of wheels with different backspacing would push the wheel out farther as well as move the face of the wheel in so it's not getting scratched as easily as the stock wheel. I just need to figure out how much back spacing I need.

This also makes me realize that I'm going to have to come up with a new wheel guide for the 2019+ Ford Ranger. We have one, but it's for the 1983-2011 Ford Rangers.
I'm running 1.5 inch spacers on mine. Have been from 1900 miles. It sets the tire just outside the fender with 255s. When I get the 285s next I'll probably end up with about half to 3/4 of an inch outside. But I've been wanting flares to hide some damage haha. But agree totally about the wheel design. I've hammered all 4 my factories. Been thinking about new ones but wife asked why if I was gonna keep taking it offroad. I didn't have a rebuttal on the spot so I had to put it off haha.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've been watching sales/rebates on wheels and tires. 4WP is clearancing a bunch of ProComp wheels recently. These are $83 right now...

View attachment 84077

Right bolt pattern but in 16 inch. Not sure what the wheel to brake clearances are like on these newer Rangers. A 17 inch wheel might be a must.

Maybe offer a bit of real estate on TRS-3 for a couple big yellow 4WP stickers as some ad space. Maybe even their own forum in the vendor section if they help shorten your shopping list.
The base XL comes with 16s, so they might fit.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Like the Silver color Jim. Truck already looks lifted, without the lift, maybe its just the angle of the pictures. Can't wait to see TRS-3. Although, wish it were an extended cab with the 6 foot bed option instead of the everybody owns one crew cab LOL.

Would the swaybar disconnect setup from the Bronco work on the Ranger? They're the same chassis if I'm not mistaken, so wouldn't that be able to swap over onto a Ranger, or too complicated to do?

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Like the Silver color Jim. Truck already looks lifted, without the lift, maybe its just the angle of the pictures. Can't wait to see TRS-3. Although, wish it were an extended cab with the 6 foot bed option instead of the everybody owns one crew cab LOL.

Would the swaybar disconnect setup from the Bronco work on the Ranger? They're the same chassis if I'm not mistaken, so wouldn't that be able to swap over onto a Ranger, or too complicated to do?
I've been curious about the sway bar disconnects as well. I've unbolted mine once. Way smoother ride offroad. I didn't really notice more flex but really didn't get a chance to see where I was. But would disconnect them more often if it was just a switch like in the Broncos

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
When you do Ford's Bronco Off-Rodeo there is a point on the course where the Bronco gets twisted up and they have you hit the button to disconnect the swaybars. It's amazing how much wheeltravel it gains.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I tested articulation with the front bar connected vs disconnected a couple weeks ago.

You get another 1.5" underneath the front tire before the back wants to come up with it disconnected.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
I tested articulation with the front bar connected vs disconnected a couple weeks ago.

You get another 1.5" underneath the front tire before the back wants to come up with it disconnected.
Yeah I watched your video bud. Your truck is why I went 255 75s. Now that I've had it for a while I really want to go bigger. But thanks for th inspiration. I was just on some dirt roads with Creek crossings so didn't get a chance to flex it but it felt way more comfortable over the bigger rock roads. I'm dying to get it out 9n some obstacles and test it better.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
When you do Ford's Bronco Off-Rodeo there is a point on the course where the Bronco gets twisted up and they have you hit the button to disconnect the swaybars. It's amazing how much wheeltravel it gains.
Maybe you can talk to one of the vendors and have them work on a quick disconnect kit for it. I've read that the 2024 Ranger Raptor will have the electronic ones like the Bronco. Scared that the aftermarket will quit supporting this platform when new ones are released. Some companies have already quit making parts and start R&D on new one

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Yeah I watched your video bud. Your truck is why I went 255 75s. Now that I've had it for a while I really want to go bigger. But thanks for th inspiration. I was just on some dirt roads with Creek crossings so didn't get a chance to flex it but it felt way more comfortable over the bigger rock roads. I'm dying to get it out 9n some obstacles and test it better.
We're making another trip to Jericho Mt. State Park in NH to go wheeling next weekend if you wanna make the journey up lol.

I'd like to go bigger too.. I wouldnt mind going to a 33 or a 34" next year.. as long as I can find something that isn't E rated/10 ply.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
We're making another trip to Jericho Mt. State Park in NH to go wheeling next weekend if you wanna make the journey up lol.

I'd like to go bigger too.. I wouldnt mind going to a 33 or a 34" next year.. as long as I can find something that isn't E rated/10 ply.
Well that might be a little far for a day trip haha. But if you ever make it down here to Tennessee make sure and hit me up. I can show you mild to wild haha. Do you have the rear locker?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Maybe you can talk to one of the vendors and have them work on a quick disconnect kit for it. I've read that the 2024 Ranger Raptor will have the electronic ones like the Bronco. Scared that the aftermarket will quit supporting this platform when new ones are released. Some companies have already quit making parts and start R&D on new one
So like a 1998-2011 then where almost no one made anything. ;missingteeth;

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
285/70-17 is commonly available in P-metric and C load range and roughly 33". Once you're bigger than that everything seems to be E load range.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
So like a 1998-2011 then where almost no one made anything. ;missingteeth;
Exactly. I had to do a body lift on my 98 back in the day because this exact reason. Hopefully there won't be many changes on the suspension so parts can be interchangeable. But I've always heard hope in 1 hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up first haha

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Well that might be a little far for a day trip haha. But if you ever make it down here to Tennessee make sure and hit me up. I can show you mild to wild haha. Do you have the rear locker?
Will do! I would like to escape New England and travel around a bit next year, buuut well see what happens... buying/building a house will hafta take priority.. blah.

But yes I do have the locker. Besides 4x4 the locker was the only other option I cared about having lol. I'm surprised it was so cheap to be honest.

285/70-17 is commonly available in P-metric and C load range and roughly 33". Once you're bigger than that everything seems to be E load range.
Finding the right tire can be such a pain in the butt -__-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals