• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ranger Ecoboost Oil Change Interval

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Still all from reconstituted dinosaur poop, or whatever. Hydrocarbons ya know ;)

Thanks for the info on the natural gas synthetics, didn't know that. Might save a step or two making it since natural gas starts out a LOT cleaner than petroleum, huh. Got me thinking about that.

Coal can be made into substitutes for petroleum products, too.

Blitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Tremor
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Maybe flawed logic on my part, but I think it's a wise move to buy the filter from the dealer, just so they have a record, for warranty purposes. I keep all the receipts for the FoMoCo filters and the Mobil 1 oil I buy at Walmart, just in case I ever need them for warranty.

After the warranty is up though you can bet I'll be buying WIX filters.
The reason I buy my oil filters at the ford dealer is because there are alot of counterfeit oil filters out there. I am not saying Walmart sells them but there out there. Just google counterfeit oil filters and see. That might explain the $3.16 price vs the $8.50 price. I am not going to bet my engine to save $5.00

Blitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Tremor
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Oil changed at 4600 miles--13550 total miles, at change--Blackstone report attached--Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5W-30 used--Reg 87 fuel run always, from Sam's Club. All city driving on this crankcase oil--Temps this summer, are REALLY HOT!!

View attachment 45637
I will not use Sams gasoline in my Ranger because its not top tier gasoline. Might be a bunch of Bull but I am guessing with direct inject and turbo I will need to try to use best gas.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The reason I buy my oil filters at the ford dealer is because there are alot of counterfeit oil filters out there. I am not saying Walmart sells them but there out there. Just google counterfeit oil filters and see. That might explain the $3.16 price vs the $8.50 price. I am not going to bet my engine to save $5.00
I have thought about this very thing... pretty much everytime I buy a couple from Wally World. Even thought about cutting one open from there and one KNOWN true Motorcraft filter and see whats up.I think just by weighing them first would be a pretty good indicator if there was a difference in how they're made.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I have thought about this very thing... pretty much everytime I buy a couple from Wally World. Even thought about cutting one open from there and one KNOWN true Motorcraft filter and see whats up.I think just by weighing them first would be a pretty good indicator if there was a difference in how they're made.
I never thought I would but I've bought Motorcraft filters from Walmart, they're real Motorcraft filters. My argument with them was that Ford beats the dealers up because Toyota and Honda have better "owner loyalty", they don't sell their stuff at Walmart. Ford sells Walmart filters and oil cheaper than they sell it to dealers because they consider Walmart stores as a single entity but the dealer body as individual customers. At the dealer we'd buy the most common filters in bulk boxes with no individual filter boxes to get a better price and to reduce our trash. When I was working if I wanted a filter on Sunday I could unlock the door, get my filter and leave a note so they could invoice it on Monday. Now I go to Walmart if I didn't plan ahead. I'm retired, I scheduled work for 35 years and if I want to do something on the spur of the moment I do it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Or it just might be a dealer being a dealer.

I only go there for alignments because my brother works there. MC oil and filters from wally world. Sitting with 190k miles on it my F-150 has yet to complain. I had a valve cover off a few years ago, it still looked pretty much new inside.

If Wal-Mart was selling fake crap Ford would be all over them. They do take their brand very seriously. Third party on Amazon or Ebay... yeah I could see that sneaking under the radar.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The only thing I buy from the dealer is transmission fluid because it's almost impossible to find motorcraft mercon V anywhere else. I simply don't trust those "universal" transmission fluids auto parts stores sell.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only thing I buy from the dealer is transmission fluid because it's almost impossible to find motorcraft mercon V anywhere else. I simply don't trust those "universal" transmission fluids auto parts stores sell.
I can get it at O'Reillys, I have only ever needed it for the PS in my wifes car though and it pained me to pay $10/qt for the crap but I didn't want to knock the stars out of alignment switching things up at at the cars age. Luckily the PS cooler line blew in spectacular fashion as I was trying to limp it home and blew my new fluid all over everything.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don’t know how much you paid at the dealer, but recently I bought a case off Amazon for $70 12qts. $6 a qt.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea I've seen that, I've bought a case on amazon when I rebuilt my valve body. But while the case price is cheap per quart if you try to buy a few individual quarts the price is like 15 bucks each!

So when I only need 4 quarts to do a pan flush it's cheaper at the dealer. (About 8 bucks a quart)

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Yea I've seen that, I've bought a case on amazon when I rebuilt my valve body. But while the case price is cheap per quart if you try to buy a few individual quarts the price is like 15 bucks each!

So when I only need 4 quarts to do a pan flush it's cheaper at the dealer. (About 8 bucks a quart)
I guess I've been spoiled by employee prices.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Faked products are rarely going to be at a well established retailer. It's more of a risk on sites like ebay and less likely but I could happen on Amazon. That being said, to each their own on where they buy their brand name stuff.

As far as the places to buy fuel, I didn't see Sheetz and Get Go on the list. It may be because it's a regional chain. In any case, their fuel comes from Marathon, which is on the list. How do I know this? When I live in a town with a fueling depot for Marathon, Sheetz and Get Go trucks were there filling up for gas station deliveries all the time and a former employee of the trucking company that drives their trucks confirmed it.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Pretty much all gasoline is the same and comes from the same place initially. The additives each brand uses is added after the fact. I live near the fueling depot on the Delaware river and the ships unload the fuel to the storage tanks and then all the local trucks of every brand and type get their fuel there. Shell, exxon, etc get the same fuel as the no name stations. Gases like Shell Nitro simply have the fancy additives that make it high quality gas put in after it's pumped off the ship where the cheap stations don't really add anything. It also depends how well the individual gas stations maintain their tanks. A major Shell station is much more likely to keep their tanks clean and be refilled more often while discount bobs station is likely to have fuel that's been sitting longer and have more water in it.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There is some truth to what you say. I tried Quick Fill fuel for a while from a few different stations. Fuel mileage was reduced as was perceived power and performance. The fuel was usually cheaper than brand name gas stations. So, one would think the fuel would get used more as a result. As to why I had those issues, I can't say. I could be the lack of maintenance and/or turn over in their system or it could be the additives they use. Regardless, I stopped using their fuel.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
There's a local grocery store near me that sells a LOT of gas. And at a good price. However, and this is over the course of several years - noticed gas mileage going to Hades in both vehicles. The store hasn't been around all that long so chances of the tanks being the problem would seem to be slim.... suppose you never know. By chance started getting gas at a certain chain of convenience stores - they happen to sell non-ethanol gas although that's not what I usually buy (except for lawn mower and such) - and mileage went up noticeably in both vehicles. Same 87 octane at each place, same "may contain up to 10% ethanol" sticker on the pump at each place (except for the dedicated non-ethanol hoses at the one).

I check the mileage at ever fill-up, doesn't take but a few seconds with phone calculator. Why it is that I get much better mileage at one place, than another, have no idea.

Yeah it should all be the same but... I wonder if certain suppliers put less ethanol in their gas. As soon as ethanol started to become (mostly) unavoidable, the mileage in my Mazda 3 dropped almost exactly 10%. It's now back pretty much to what the car was when it was new. Huh.......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals