• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2016 Ford F150 3.5L loosing coolant

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
A few months ago I was having an issue where the heater in my 2016 Ford F-150 would blow warm, then cool, then warm.

When I got the oil changed they found that it was a little low on coolant. Weird.

Saturday the a/c stopped blowing cold and then I quickly noticed that the temp gauge was quickly rising so I pulled over to let it cool off. Once it did, I went to a parts store and added a whole bottle of coolant to it. It was fine after that.

I haven't seen any evidence of coolant in the oil.

I smell coolant around the front of the truck, but haven't found any leaks yet.

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of these engines/trucks leaking coolant from anywhere.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A few months ago I was having an issue where the heater in my 2016 Ford F-150 would blow warm, then cool, then warm.

When I got the oil changed they found that it was a little low on coolant. Weird.

Saturday the a/c stopped blowing cold and then I quickly noticed that the temp gauge was quickly rising so I pulled over to let it cool off. Once it did, I went to a parts store and added a whole bottle of coolant to it. It was fine after that.

I haven't seen any evidence of coolant in the oil.

I smell coolant around the front of the truck, but haven't found any leaks yet.

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of these engines/trucks leaking coolant from anywhere.
Ecoboost don't leak coolant normally, it literally boils off in the turbos when the engine is stopped after running is what the Ford mechanic told me at my local dealership.

I tend to agree with him as the engines run very hot and the turbos are super hot as well.

Old turbo motor used to keep running after you cut the keep off to coil down if I understand it correctly.

Everyone I know that has owned an Ecoboost looses coolant over time.

My 2016 2.7 has lost a little over time, I normally just top it off. I'll end up flushing it soon.

My dad had the same issue with his 2014 3.5 and he just topped it off as well.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Best bet is to put pressure gauge on the cooling system, with cold engine, and pump it up to 20psi then wait a bit
See if pressure is dropping and if so look for signs of coolant, it will drip down on cold engine

Pinhole leaks in hoses are the hardest to find, they are invisible and end up on surfaces not related to the leak point, lol, but you can feel the stream with your hand

And as a test, with pressure on the system, disable spark(or fuel) and have someone crank the engine over a few times
If you see the gauge pulsing.............then you have a cylinder leak, i.e. head gasket or cracked head

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
sounds like classic case of the heater core

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals