• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2009 F-150 Raptor? Factory Baja truck?

Dddaviso7

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
4.6,2.9,2.3t
Transmission
Manual
That is just for the first year of production, the next year they get several engine and transmission options.
Are you talking about the challenger? I read in a motortrend that they can't afford to put a V6 in it, Because of how little the mustang sells for. Same with the new camaro. But that was a little while ago, things could have changed.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you talking about the challenger? I read in a motortrend that they can't afford to put a V6 in it, Because of how little the mustang sells for. Same with the new camaro. But that was a little while ago, things could have changed.
Unless they want another Prowler to just show off at shows but not really sell that many they will have to market to the masses, or the Stang will kill it just like it did the Camaro. Really I don't know how they could afford not to.

Here is what I read:
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

Dddaviso7

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
4.6,2.9,2.3t
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I see your point. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Well, I hope that article is more reliable than what i've read. Seems like the challenger will live up to my expectations! haha Thanks for that link man, You made my day :-D

Last edited:

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
heres what i heard about this thing, that it will have lockers in the rear, a powerfull v8, long travel in the front and rear, although looking at the pictures it looks about a mid travel prerunner f 150 with about 12 to 16 inches of travel, it looks fairly good considering how square the new f150s are. I like the concept of it, but if i had the money to buy it i would rather just make my own instead of buy one already decked out.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Seems like the right truck for enthusiasts, at the wrong time. Where are the efficient V6's and V8's, turbodiesels, manual transmissions? All we get are old tech V8's with terrible mileage.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seems like the right truck for enthusiasts, at the wrong time. Where are the efficient V6's and V8's, turbodiesels, manual transmissions? All we get are old tech V8's with terrible mileage.
A three valve OHC V-8 with variable intake runners and variable valve timing doesn't sound all that old tech to me. When set up properly they get similar milage to a V-6 Ranger. My old 2002 (which is much different than the current or 09 F-150) gets 17-18mpg on the highway, thanks to the 3.31 gears and small tires that most scoff at.

KarenCaren

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ford made a good truck. This one looks great, it looks like it has more power into it. I hope I can drive one of those in the future. lol...

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A three valve OHC V-8 with variable intake runners and variable valve timing doesn't sound all that old tech to me. When set up properly they get similar milage to a V-6 Ranger. My old 2002 (which is much different than the current or 09 F-150) gets 17-18mpg on the highway, thanks to the 3.31 gears and small tires that most scoff at.
I am talking about direct fuel injection, small turbos, etc. Like what is finally coming out with the cars, the Ecoboost engines.

The old style (2003 and previous) was lighter than the new ones, and smaller. The new ones struggle to get 18 mpg in V6 / manual guise.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The old style (2003 and previous) was lighter than the new ones, and smaller. The new ones struggle to get 18 mpg in V6 / manual guise.
The new ones don't nearly implode in a crash either, and can pull a lot more.

They are talking ecoboost (and diesel) for the F-series about the same time they are going to release it in cars.

The V-6 (4.2) in a half ton for milage has been a demented marketing hype since the begining of time. Even in my style of truck one would get nearly the same milage as my 5.4. A small engine struggling in big truck will enhale about the same fuel as a big engine toying with a big truck. My uncles 2006 w/ a 5.4 gets about the same milage as my 2002.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The new ones don't nearly implode in a crash either, and can pull a lot more.

They are talking ecoboost (and diesel) for the F-series about the same time they are going to release it in cars.

The V-6 (4.2) in a half ton for milage has been a demented marketing hype since the begining of time. Even in my style of truck one would get nearly the same milage as my 5.4. A small engine struggling in big truck will enhale about the same fuel as a big engine toying with a big truck. My uncles 2006 w/ a 5.4 gets about the same milage as my 2002.
I think towards the end of the "heritage" F150's you could only get a stick 4x4 in V6. That was my problem. The 5.4 is a fine motor but I prefer to shift it myself.

Of course now it is only a stick with a regular cab V6 2wd and nothing else. And they are considering doing away with the stick in the Super Duty entirely.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think towards the end of the "heritage" F150's you could only get a stick 4x4 in V6. That was my problem. The 5.4 is a fine motor but I prefer to shift it myself.

Of course now it is only a stick with a regular cab V6 2wd and nothing else. And they are considering doing away with the stick in the Super Duty entirely.
If the masses don't want it, Ford won't make much money making it.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If the masses don't want it, Ford won't make much money making it.
True, but couldn't you say the same thing about the Raptor?? I guess I don't see where a pre-modified Baja truck straight off the lot is something for the masses. I think it's cool but don't understand how something like it can be built, but they are seriously considering dropping the stickshift all together from the Super Duty lineup. I'm actually shocked they still have it in the F150. The Chevy / GMC half tons do not have a stick available anymore.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
True, but couldn't you say the same thing about the Raptor?? I guess I don't see where a pre-modified Baja truck straight off the lot is something for the masses.
Yes, I will say that the Raptor will not sell well, and I doubt they plan for it to. I really don't know why they would bother though.

Like most factory modified things, those that need it would rather build their own, and those that don't want it obviously won't get it. It will be a collectors thing like a GT-500 if they ever decide to make it.

With these newer control systems that adapt to you driving style (97+ F-150's have it), once you get them trained, they do a pretty decent job of shifting when you want them to anyway. I didn't know how much of a difference they made until I unhooked the battery for my intake, it shifted like a friggin Caddilac afterwards, low RPM and very, very smooth... I soon got it whooped back into shape shifting harder at a higher RPM how I like it.

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
OK well whether anyone wants to believe me or not I don't lie.....Me and a friend went into the local Ford dealership today to look at buying some new work trucks and crunch some numbers, ne ways we are good friends with one of the head managers. We sit and talk to him for hours everytime we go in there. But he hasn't been there in a while and happened to be there today.......come to find out he's been at the Ford world headquarters in Michigan!!! We got all kinds of info that I can't talk about. But I am definetely starting to love Ford more with the things he told me he got to see and find out about up there. I've been going downhill with ford the past few years because alot of products have seemed really disappointing lately. But with what I heard is coming in the future I am more than back on board haha.....

Anyways. This truck IS coming out. He said it will be in dealer lots around October/November. He's supposed to be giving me a call the day they get the first one in so I can talk numbers haha. But I got all kinds of info about this truck, unfortunately he made me swear to not leak anything out yet. Due to the fact that it isn't even rumored to come out yet or has been advertised. It is WICKED!!! I do agree I highly doubt it will sell much it all due to there is no need for it. But for us enthusiasts I am damn glad they came out with it!!!

But I got some neat info about the new Flex, Lincoln MKZ.....oh yeah and did I mention I got info and got to see a picture of the testing of the new 2010 mustang?? It looks insane. It has more of a 1967-68 square styling front end, as well as the new KR style hoods. Oh and from what I heard, that new MKZ sounds really badass for a sedan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals