• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 rear oil pan leak

u00kwm2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2006 Ranger with a Vulcan 3.0l, automatic with <80k. Have always used Ford synthetic blend 5w30 and change every 3k to 5k.
About 1000 miles ago it began leaking oil around the rear of the oil pan area.
It is dripping onto the convertor. I power washed it and cannot clearly see where it is leaking.
Do rear main seals go bad with these engines? Is there an oil sensor or something else that could be leaking?

Thanks

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I know that Ford had a recall many years back on the 3.0 motor for the oil pan gasket. For some reason the gasket separates and causing a leak (or motor failure if your oil seeps out while on the road). Better contact your local Ford service and ask them about the pan gasket. The motor has to be removed (lifted up) to replace the pan gasket according to a buddy who's son had this issue on his 2001 Ranger. His was covered under warranty.

u00kwm2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know that Ford had a recall many years back on the 3.0 motor for the oil pan gasket. For some reason the gasket separates and causing a leak (or motor failure if your oil seeps out while on the road). Better contact your local Ford service and ask them about the pan gasket. The motor has to be removed (lifted up) to replace the pan gasket according to a buddy who's son had this issue on his 2001 Ranger. His was covered under warranty.
Thanks.
I added a bottle of oil dye from NAPA and a friend of mine had a black light. The dye was everywhere from the plastic oil drip catch under the filter, around the starter, back of the pan, bell housing area. The filter was a little loose so he tightened it. I replaced the filter and DE-greased the entire area. Drove it about three miles and came back and oil was leaking out around the bell housing area. Nothing looks bad on top.

u00kwm2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well, found this issue. oil filter gasket must have been thin. you could tighten it up and it would work loose. Bought a new filter, cleaned it REALLY well this time and it now has not leaked at all.

Now i have a code P171, lean bank 1. MAF sensor looks good. Always used quality air filters. It started after hosing the engine. It also had a mis-fire on cylinder 3. i recently replaced the fuel filter.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Pruples

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, my '01 Ranger with a 3.0L pushed the oil pan gasket out at both ends of the engine, and it had about 6 or 7 inches between the pan and the steering rack, but Ford's awesome oil pump design makes that not enough room. The pan has to drop straight down without tilting about 8 inches to come free. You only have to lift the engine about an inch, but it's still a pain.

FoxTango

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2006 Ranger 3.0L V6 5spd manual that is leaking oil at a pretty substantial rate. I have replaced the rear main seal on Jan. 04, 2020 for the same reason. I was walking around the front of my truck today (Feb. 21, 2020) when I noticed a strong burning smell coming from the engine. I opened the hood and looked down in it and saw that there was smoke rolling off of the exhaust pipes that connect to the manifolds. I looked underneath the truck and saw that everything under there was covered in oil, transmission, exhaust, oil pan, everything. I checked the dipstick and it said that the truck was a quart low. (The oil was changed the same day as the rear main seal) I’m looking for any answers as to why I’m still leaking oil after replacing that seal, unless it was done incorrectly, I don’t think it’s my issue and that it’s something else. Anything will be helpful, thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals