• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 auto to manual swap

StoutSpeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
1"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Alright I'm still pretty new here but I am planning to swap out the 5R44E (I believe) in my 2006 xlt 3.0 2wd. I have already pulled the M5OD from a 2003 3.0, which luckily was a longbed as well so I grabbed the driveshaft while I was at it. It's got some small dents from the forks on the wheel loader my local JY uses to move vehicles haphazardly but it's straight and If nothing else I got the right yoke for the trans for $30. Manual trans looks great inside and I got a year long warranty on it even! I was able to get the wiring for the trans from the engine back, but not the entire injector/trans/etc. harness from the connector that bolts together, somebody had cut it all to pieces. So wiring wise all I have is for the transmission alone and can't seem to find diagrams or a complete harness for sale without having to buy the entire engine harness all together (expensive!). Grabbed the pedals and clutch position switch as well. Just going to buy a new flywheel, clutch, slave, master, and all so hopefully I won't have to worry about any of that for a long time. I'll start documenting the process with pictures and all whenever I start the swap, but until then I am researching and on the lookout for any help or info y'all have, mainly wiring related as I have no indication whether the auto harness will work or not! Also planning on using the stock auto computer and just having it tuned/flashed if at all possible. Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds good

I would get a 2006 Ford Ranger Wiring Diagram book from Ford Shop Manual set, they are sold separately

Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-FORD-RANGER-WIRING-DIAGRAM-SHOP-MANUAL-ORIGINAL-SERVICE-BOOK-/164219477570

Or this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Ford-Ranger-Wiring-Diagrams-OEM-Shop-Manual-Service-Book-Electrical-/373021218829

It will have correct wiring diagrams for BOTH manual and automatic 2006 Rangers
And its "free" because you can usually re-sell it for what you paid for it, lol, less shipping

That will give you an overview to see if its worthwhile to just run a few wire vs whole new engine wiring harness

You got the reverse light plug with manual harness, and reverse light wires are there under the truck in the DTR plug
Then there is just the neutral/in gear wires on that DTR switch that need to go to clutch switch
These pass starter activation 12volts to starter relay AND disable REV limiter when "in gear"

The 2003 M5R1 should also have the OSS sensor on rear of trans, drivers side, same as the 5R44E so that plug in should match, just separate it from rest of the harness as needed
Or if connector is different splice in the M5R1 2 OSS wires to trucks 2 wires

That's really all the wiring there is on the M5R1, reverse lights and OSS

Last edited:

StoutSpeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
1"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Sounds good

I would get a 2006 Ford Ranger Wiring Diagram book from Ford Shop Manual set, they are sold separately

Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-FORD-RANGER-WIRING-DIAGRAM-SHOP-MANUAL-ORIGINAL-SERVICE-BOOK-/164219477570

Or this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Ford-Ranger-Wiring-Diagrams-OEM-Shop-Manual-Service-Book-Electrical-/373021218829

It will have correct wiring diagrams for BOTH manual and automatic 2006 Rangers
And its "free" because you can usually re-sell it for what you paid for it, lol, less shipping

That will give you an overview to see if its worthwhile to just run a few wire vs whole new engine wiring harness

You got the reverse light plug with manual harness, and reverse light wires are there under the truck in the DTR plug
Then there is just the neutral/in gear wires on that DTR switch that need to go to clutch switch
These pass starter activation 12volts to starter relay AND disable REV limiter when "in gear"

The 2003 M5R1 should also have the OSS sensor on rear of trans, drivers side, same as the 5R44E so that plug in should match, just separate it from rest of the harness as needed
Or if connector is different splice in the M5R1 2 OSS wires to trucks 2 wires

That's really all the wiring there is on the M5R1, reverse lights and OSS
Awesome, will order one of those shop manuals and hopefully that should tell me what I need to know. I know the wiring on the manual trans is pretty simple and can probably just run the DTR/ Reverse light wiring on my own if the auto stuff doesn't plug n play. Guess I really don't have to worry much about the auto harness as nothing really goes to the PCM from the M5? And I made sure it had the OSS because I wanted a working speedo.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OSS goes directly to the PCM
PCM then converts that 30,000ppm signal, based on rear axle ratio and tire size(programmable), then sends 8,000ppm signal out to speedometer and cruise
But I think its a data signal, 2004 and up, that goes out on the CAN Bus network, no longer the analog ppm signal
Not that it matters to you, lol

Nothing will be used from the 16 pin auto harness plug in, but thats what will turn on the CEL, because nothing is connected to it, and thats the software that needs to be removed from the PCM, the automatics monitor and shifting software

StoutSpeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
1"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Wellllll after buying the trans, clutch kit, flywheel, and junkyarding pretty much every part I would've needed, my manual swap ended before it could begin, and only two days after I made an appointment with the driveshaft shop, my baby got totalled leaving work to grab lunch. Not to worry, I'll be in a ranger again someday, but for now I've got college to finish up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals